minisoftrelease

Local time
4:03 AM
Hi, Tom! A couple months ago, I purchased a minsoftrelease from Cameraquest, but the threaded shaft was too small for my Bessa R2 -- it didn't fit. I think I tried to contact you through an e-mail link at cameraquest.com. Anyway, I returned the item to Mr. Gandy with a note, but I'm still in the dark as to why the unit was too small for my camera. Any thoughts?

Mark Swearingen said:
Hi, Tom! A couple months ago, I purchased a minsoftrelease from Cameraquest, but the threaded shaft was too small for my Bessa R2 -- it didn't fit. I think I tried to contact you through an e-mail link at cameraquest.com. Anyway, I returned the item to Mr. Gandy with a note, but I'm still in the dark as to why the unit was too small for my camera. Any thoughts?

Why didn't you just email Tom in Vancouver? To or his wife Tuulikki have always returned emails promptly and courteously.

Charlie

There seems to be slight variations on some of the Bessa's when it comes to the thread in the release button. Occasionally it is because the "plate" at the bottom of the release stops it from screwing down tight and sometimes because the thread in the release is simply to "wide". You can wrap the thread with thin tape, like masking tape or electricans tape to make it fit.
It is not only Bessa's that can have this problem, first series of M3 had a different pitch too.
The cable release thread is not "set in stone" - it is a very rough thread and you get the feeling that the factories grabbed any thread tap that looked like it would work.
Later cameras seems to have a fairly consistent thread, but the Bessa release button is made from a "poly carbonate" also known as "plastic" and it is soft enough to flex when you screw the Softie into it.

Back