Minolta 7s Rangefinder - can't seem to align

northnotwest

Local time
9:43 PM
IMG_8068.jpeg
hello, i'm a newbie. i just recently got this camera.
as you can see on the middle where the yellow diamond is, it's not completely aligned. there's still a slight reflection to it.

this is as far as the ring goes. will this affect my focus? will it be blurry once i develop this? can't seem to find answers on google.

The nearest that the Minolta 7s can focus to is 0.9m, 3ft. It is best to test the focus at Infinity, with something ~100ft away. Set the focus to infinity, the Rangefinder should show 1 image. If it does not, the camera must be adjusted. What you show- the image should not be in focus.

You can find the manual online here:

Last edited:
Hey there! Thanks for your reply. You are right!! It did align when I tried test the focus at Infinity.

Does it always have to be aligned for it to be focused? This is my first camera from using a disposable. Appreciate it!

Yes- the rangefinder will be aligned on the object when it is in focus.

If the focus is good at infinity, the adjustment should be fine. Just bring the two images together on the object that you want to be in focus. Remember- 3feet is the minimum distance for this camera.

"Just in case" someone needs instructions for adjusting the RF on the Minolta 7s, 9, or 11:

To the OP. If this is your first "real" film camera -- congratulations for using a rangefinder camera. Don't get too frustrated if your first images don't come out just as you expected. Give it a few rolls to become proficient. As you've learned already, most RF cameras won't focus closer than about 3 feet (some focus a little closer and sometimes the lens is capable of focusing closer but the rangefinder won't show it). You may also notice that your film images sometimes don't show the same view that you saw through the viewfinder..... sometimes they're shifted a little down and right. That's part of using a RF camera too. You learn that it's more of an issue when you're shooting subjects closer and not an issue for shots of the distance (like a landscape). Known as parallax and you start correcting for it before long.
The Hi-Matics are nice cameras. The lens in yours is very capable (assuming no haze or fungus). Very sharp and contrasty, even wide open at its widest aperture.
Enjoy! 😎

To the OP. If this is your first "real" film camera -- congratulations for using a rangefinder camera. Don't get too frustrated if your first images don't come out just as you expected. Give it a few rolls to become proficient. As you've learned already, most RF cameras won't focus closer than about 3 feet (some focus a little closer and sometimes the lens is capable of focusing closer but the rangefinder won't show it). You may also notice that your film images sometimes don't show the same view that you saw through the viewfinder..... sometimes they're shifted a little down and right. That's part of using a RF camera too. You learn that it's more of an issue when you're shooting subjects closer and not an issue for shots of the distance (like a landscape). Known as parallax and you start correcting for it before long.
The Hi-Matics are nice cameras. The lens in yours is very capable (assuming no haze or fungus). Very sharp and contrasty, even wide open at its widest aperture.
Enjoy! 😎
thank you so much for your guidance! i'm having fun so far. i recently just bought the Canon FTB as well. I have yet to learn how to operate on full manual mode! I downloaded a few pdf books and also have saved a few yt tutorials. I want film photography to be an everyday activity for me. :)

The Minolta Hi-Matic 7s is an excellent choice for learning with. Full program mode sets Shutter Speed and Aperture, in Manual Mode- the "Exposure Value System" means you select the Number on the shutter-speed/aperture ring indicated by the Meter. You can then change both shutter speed and aperture at the same time and the Exposure Value stays the same. Lets you experiment with Depth of Field.

I bought the Minolta Hi-Matic 9 when it was new, and I was eleven years old. That is how I learned- in 1969.

The Minolta Hi-Matic 7s is an excellent choice for learning with. Full program mode sets Shutter Speed and Aperture, in Manual Mode- the "Exposure Value System" means you select the Number on the shutter-speed/aperture ring indicated by the Meter. You can then change both shutter speed and aperture at the same time and the Exposure Value stays the same. Lets you experiment with Depth of Field.

I bought the Minolta Hi-Matic 9 when it was new, and I was eleven years old. That is how I learned- in 1969.
Wow! I'm curious, is it still functioning well today?

I am currently studying the meter as well. I was able to buy a Wein Cell battery for $10.

For night time shots, I have the Godox Lux Senior as my flash, but I think I have to master the elements of shutter speed, aperture, and iso.

I have cheap kodak rolls for practice. Will take this out today! Hopefully I could get some good shots. This is my first roll in this camera.

Wow! I'm curious, is it still functioning well today?

I am currently studying the meter as well. I was able to buy a Wein Cell battery for $10.

For night time shots, I have the Godox Lux Senior as my flash, but I think I have to master the elements of shutter speed, aperture, and iso.

I have cheap kodak rolls for practice. Will take this out today! Hopefully I could get some good shots. This is my first roll in this camera.

Works Perfectly.

Back