Minolta CLE Flash Questions

v3cron

Well-known
Local time
8:51 AM
I’m looking around at flash options for my CLE, and am not able to find the dedicated flash for it. I know the PX series flashes work in TTL, but they all seem a bit large. Would old single pin universal Sunpaks, etc bring any issues with trigger voltage?

I also read somewhere that using other manufacturers’ flashes could short out the electronics, so I haven’t tried my little Nikon SB30 (best flash ever, IMO). Would it be safe?

I’m being extra careful because repairing these can be difficult.

I have a CLE and a Nikon SB-30. When I tried them together two years ago, I wrote up a small description of the results:
-----------
I tried the Nikon SB-30 flash unit on the CLE in it's TTL mode on the Minolta CLE. While the flash went off, there was certainly no TTL stuff happening. On a couple of pictures the flash went off but the shutter stayed open for about a second so as to finish exposing the image.
-----------
Does this help at all?

..Avery

I have a CLE purchased new way back when. I've used it with a Minolta Auto 25 flash with no issues. According to the manual (in quotes):

"Any of the Minolta X-series flash units can be used on the CLE, with full use of their dedicated functions. Use of these units with the CLE is the same as described in their manuals for use with Minolta XD and XG cameras, except for the flash-ready signal in the view-finder."

"Other flash units can be used with the CLE as long as they have a hot shoe contact. The CLE camera has no provision for cord-type flash units."

I would think that any hot shoe flash of the CLE's era would work properly and would not damage the camera.

Postscript to my earlier reply. Also from the manual (in quotes):

"With other flash units
Other flash units can be used with the CLE as long as they have a hot shoe contact. The CLE camera has no provision f or cord-type
flash units.
To use other flashes:
1 . Attach the f lash to the hot shoe of the camera.
2. Set the shutter speed manually (p.27) according to the following table:
Type of flash
Synchronized speed range in seconds -
ln manual mode Electronic flash ("strobe") 1 through 1/60, and B
Class M, MF, or FP flashbulbs 1 through 1/15, and B"

I have a CLE and a Nikon SB-30. When I tried them together two years ago, I wrote up a small description of the results:
-----------
I tried the Nikon SB-30 flash unit on the CLE in it's TTL mode on the Minolta CLE. While the flash went off, there was certainly no TTL stuff happening. On a couple of pictures the flash went off but the shutter stayed open for about a second so as to finish exposing the image.
-----------
Does this help at all?

..Avery
I know the TTL won’t work, but my concern is the safety of metering system. I found the trigger voltage of the SB, and it’s very low, so probably no issue there.

I have a CLE purchased new way back when. I've used it with a Minolta Auto 25 flash with no issues. According to the manual (in quotes):

"Any of the Minolta X-series flash units can be used on the CLE, with full use of their dedicated functions. Use of these units with the CLE is the same as described in their manuals for use with Minolta XD and XG cameras, except for the flash-ready signal in the view-finder."

"Other flash units can be used with the CLE as long as they have a hot shoe contact. The CLE camera has no provision for cord-type flash units."

I would think that any hot shoe flash of the CLE's era would work properly and would not damage the camera.
It doesn’t mention the trigger voltage limit, which is concerning.

Back