Minolta CLE frame lines

tardegard

Local time
4:31 AM
Hi everybody.
I am new to film photography and just purchased a Minolta cle which arrived today from Japan. I really love and feel comfortable with it but I have some little concerns. My lenses are Nokton 35 1.4, Ultron 28 1.9 and Leica 90 2.8.
28 frame lines are always visible. And I can see some flebile 90 lines when I mount the Leica. But nothing happens with the 35mm. The camera doesn’t show any 35 lines (which the cle doesn’t have ), nor 40mm ones.
Am I doing anything wrong?

REcently, there was a thread in another forum regarding the CLE and 50mm framelines.

I have a CLE, it has 28, 40, 90mm framelines. that is IT!. I can put 50mm M mount lenses on it all day long and it never shows 50mm frame lines. The manual I downloaded from Butkus, also says nothing about 50mm framelines. (current mount is a MS optics Sonnatar 50)

Maybe I misread from the other thread, but I don't think so.

I have a fair number of M mount cameras. the CLE finder is really clear and rf patch as good if not better than any of them (ehh...maybe not the M5). I've had it for 6 years, it has never failed.....yet.

Hap, that other thread was about the CL.
I agree with you about the CLE. It's a terrific camera.

I stand corrected. Misread the thread messages. As I approach 70 things like this happen more frequently and it is maddening.

thank you gentlemen.

Still love my CLE. pulled it off the shelf and self flagellated for not using it enough.

Do you know if the 40mm framelines show up when using a Voigtländer 40mm 1.2 or 1.4?
Like the Summicron-C and Minolta Rokkor 40mm lenses, out of the factory these CV lenses bring up 50mm framelines on a Leica M camera. Therefore, this set-up should activate the 40mm framelines on a Minolta CLE.

Rockwell's site has a chart that shows which framelines get called up when a given lens is mounted on the CLE. According to his chart, when you mount a 35mm lens, only the 28mm framelines are visible.
https://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/cle.htm

I'm a bit confused by Ken's chart. Am I understanding correctly that when you mount a 28mm lens, the 90mm frame lines are displayed? Was the Minolta 28mm lens therefore designed so that it calls up the 35mm frame lines?

To get the 28mm frame lines only, you have two options: either the Minolta 28mm designed for the CLE, or a LTM 28mm lens with the 35/135 LTM to M mount adapter. Any other M mount 28mm will call up frame lines in addition to those for 28mm. Sounds counterintuitive, I know, but this is how it was designed. I found that the best option is to use an LTM mount 28mm with the adapter, since most Minolta Rokkor 28's have the "white spot disease", and the Rokkor 28 will not b ring up the 28/90 framelines on any Leica, thereby decreasing its usefulness. Plenty of nice old, compact LTM 28's around; I recommend those from Canon.
And yes, the Rokkor 28 calls up 35/135 framelines on a Leica. Confusing as all hell, I know!

To get the 28mm frame lines only, you have two options: either the Minolta 28mm designed for the CLE, or a LTM 28mm lens with the 35/135 LTM to M mount adapter. Any other M mount 28mm will call up frame lines in addition to those for 28mm. Sounds counterintuitive, I know, but this is how it was designed. I found that the best option is to use an LTM mount 28mm with the adapter, since most Minolta Rokkor 28's have the "white spot disease", and the Rokkor 28 will not b ring up the 28/90 framelines on any Leica, thereby decreasing its usefulness. Plenty of nice old, compact LTM 28's around; I recommend those from Canon.
And yes, the Rokkor 28 calls up 35/135 framelines on a Leica. Confusing as all hell, I know!

Got it now. Thanks!

Back