Minolta QT shutter lock?

mh2000

Well-known
Local time
3:53 AM
Unpacking a bunch of old cameras I haven't looked at for 20 years and found two nice looking QTs. Both are at "S" and won't advance or trigger, even with an empty cassette in them. Is there a hidden sensor to let the camera know if there is film in the camera and otherwise to lock the shutter, or are both my cameras just jammed? I downloaded the manual and didn't see any mention of this "feature." Don't want to slit down any film if the cameras are broken. Thanks for any info!

So, I guess I'll answer my own question here. While further unpacking, I found a 3rd QT camera and this one advances and triggers correctly with and without film in it. Then, looking further at the two jammed ones, I figured out how to tap one on the table so I can hear and free up the lens cover interlock and get it to somewhat work. Since I have two with the same failure, it must be pretty common. I don't know why I have three of these cameras since I don't think I've ever shoot one of them, but they are a cute little submini, so maybe I'll put some effort into shooting one. Maybe it's an easy fix to get the others working. The cameras do have a builtin meter, so maybe it will be worthwhile getting one to actually function. I've got a few cassettes and a really sweet and rare Russian 16mm film slitter.

I've had the same problem with Minolta 16 Qt cameras. I was never able to fix the sticking shutters. The other problem was the meter acting up and working intermitantly. I gave up on them and only rely on the trusty 16II. I have 2 of them and can keep an infinity filter on one and the other for closer subjects. That being said, I still prefer the Minox cameras if I want to play with tiny film cameras. I have 3 different LX models - in black, silver and titanium. The all still work well! ---jb.

I've had the same problem with Minolta 16 Qt cameras. I was never able to fix the sticking shutters. The other problem was the meter acting up and working intermitantly. I gave up on them and only rely on the trusty 16II. I have 2 of them and can keep an infinity filter on one and the other for closer subjects. That being said, I still prefer the Minox cameras if I want to play with tiny film cameras. I have 3 different LX models - in black, silver and titanium. The all still work well! ---jb.

Thanks John!

Too bad, I think they are nice cameras if they worked! (larger negative, focusing lens and builtin meter.)

I've got one nice 16II, but can't find the supplementary lenses I had for it... things get lost...

Luckily, my A, B and C all are in good working order! Enjoying the A alot lately!

Best!

mark

Back