Minolta Rokkor M 40/2 Your experience

Alex Krasotkin

Well-known
Local time
6:47 AM
Guys, just got Minolta Rokkor M 40/2 in LN condition (the latest version with a serial number on a barrel) for my M10. So nice and tiny lens! Sharp at f/2. What is your experience with this creature?

Many thanks,
Alex

One of my favorite lenses of many years. Sharper than my 35 mm Summicron v3. Good color rendition, contrast and minimal distortion. However, I sold it went back to the 40mm Summicron-C, which is a lower contrast lens and more unbalanced (sharper in the center than the corners of the frame)

Reactions: JMF
Beautiful old school rendering that is sharp but not clinical and has a subtle vibrance to the color rendition. I sometimes regret selling it. However if your picky about framing id suggest to pick up a 40mm viewfinder otherwise youll find yourself cropping lol.

The 40 Rokkor is a great lens. I bought it for my M3 as I wanted a very compact, bright lens that used the entire viewfinder. I use it with great satisfaction also on M10. It has a very nice blur, right contrast, great colors. I have one of the latest versions, perhaps slightly more contrasted than the Summicron version.

I too own the latest version of this lens so will be following along with this thread with some interest. I acquired the lens along with a Minolta CLE last year. Not long afterwards I picked up a M-Rokkor 28/2.8 lens and have been using it exclusively with the CLE ever since. It provides an interesting alternative to the 35mm Summicron that I use on my M6. At some point I'll get around to using the M-Rokkor 40/2 lens. (I often take both cameras out with me and am using the CLE for color film while using the M6 for B&W film.)

It’s a great lens. Excellent colors. I think of it as a “rendering” lens but it’s also really sharp. Small and well built. I had it adjusted to bring up 35mm frame lines. I will never sell this lens.

Nothing special on digital and on film. The only special is its size. Odd FOV for correct framelines like on M4-2. Good match for crappy 35 mm framelines like from M4-P. It was more accurate with this lens on M-E 220 than with 35mm lenses.

I got one earlier this year and I shot a couple of rolls (Tri-x) on my M6.
Framing using the 35mm (I wear glasses) seems spot on.
It makes a very nice and compact combo.
Very happy with it.
Sorry, I don't have any print or scan on hand.
Enjoy the little and super light weight lens.
Cheers
Giulio

The Minolta CLE 40/2 is my most used lens. I used the Minolta optic with the MP 35mm frameline. The two are a near perfect match.

I tested the lens against a mint 35/2 v2 Summicron. Subject was 6 ft from camera and I evaluated on negative the edge sharpness and blur. The 40/2 is sharper at f/2.8 and by f/5.6 the two are the same. There is a tiny difference between the two lenses at f/4. Both lenses have a classic OOF rendering. Since the Minolta is a longer focal length it has more blur.

Minolta was sensitive to Leitz OOF blur aesthetic and emphasized it in their 1960/70s advertising.

The 40/2 is a very light/short lens and one reason its so nice to use. I believe its the lightest M mount in the 35-50mm range.

I just acquired a M3 and as others have written using the entire finder is the best way to frame. Regarding using it with a M2/4/5 …… with a little practice its preferred to estimate the 40 frame outside of the 50 frame line.

Guys, just got Minolta Rokkor M 40/2 in LN condition (the latest version with a serial number on a barrel) for my M10. So nice and tiny lens! Sharp at f/2. What is your experience with this creature?

It's a lovely lens. Compared to the original Summicron-C 40/2 and first series M-Rokkor 40/2, the last series M-Rokkor 40mm has multi coating and less flare than its predecessors, a bit more apparent contrast (which gives it more perceptual sharpness). I had all three together at one point in the past and would swap back and forth between the Summicron and M-Rokkor II lenses. :)

G

I've got the full CLE kit -- but didn't know there were/are three versions of the 40mm lens -- or versions of any of the three lenses. Any particular website that provides this information?

Version 1 is the Leica Summicron-C 40/2 made and assembled by Leica in Wetzlar, Version 2 is the M-Rokkor 40/2 made by Leica and assembled by Minolta in Japan. Version 3 is the M-Rokkor 40/2 manufactured and assembled by Minolta in Japan. At least that's my understanding through reading a few dozen different websites and commentaries mentioning the Leica-Minolta relationship of the 1970s-80s.

G

I purchased the Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm f2.0 CLE from member Back Alley years ago. I filed down the flange so that it brings up the 35mm framelines on my M2 (now sold) and M6. Like most of the others in this thread, I think it’s a terrific little lens, both optically and in terms of its handling. I’ve been shooting it a lot recently. Here’s a recent photo made w/ this lens:

Faded Glory by Steve Macfarlane, on Flickr

The lens displays very nice micro-contrast, like the version III 35mm Summicron w/ which it’s often compared. It’s a really nice lens to use on the M3 too.

Back