Minox 8x11 - Photos

Godfrey

somewhat colored
Local time
1:22 AM
Eight exposures I found on a Minox roll I exposed in Nov-Dec 2019 ...

Waiting for a BART Train - San Francisco 2019
Minox C + APX 100

Coliseum Station - Oakland 2019
Minox C + APX 100

Western Colloid - Oakland 2019
Minox C + APX 100

Equator - Oakland 2019
Minox C + APX 100

That Evil Animal With The Knife - San Francisco 2019
Minox C + APX 100

Grafitti - San Francisco 2019
Minox C + APX 100

Balloons - San Jose 2019
Minox C + APX 100

Fence & Orchard - San Jose 2019
Minox C + APX 100

enjoy!
G

Godfrey - Thanks for posting these. I still enjoy using my Minox cameras occasionally. What did you use to digitize them? ---jb.

Who is the rat with the knife.
Anyway, film, developer?
Right now I just loaded a IIIs with some old (expired 2009) Pan F slit from 35mm.
I plan on HC-110 dilution B and use my EM10 with a Vivitar 55mm macro with an extension tube to transfer the negs into a file.

Edit; Look ok to me, pretty good for such a tiny negative.

Very nice photos. Great quality for such a small format.

I bought a IIIs from a friend one day. It broke the same day (shutter blade separated). So I bought another IIIs the same day while shipping the original to DAG for repair. Then I got a B, a III, then what I thought was another III but based on the serial number it's a II.

They can make good photos, but require discipline in holding and estimating distance between 1m - 3m.

Addicting little things.

I have neither a film slitter nor enlarger for that format, so I buy and process my film through Blue Moon.

Attachments

• 20200705a.jpg
    20200705a.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200705b.jpg
    20200705b.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
Addicting little things.

I have neither a film slitter or enlarger for that format, so I buy and process my film through Blue Moon.

Agreed, very addicting. I have an original Minox tank but find it easier to develop using a JOBO 1501 tank with modified reels to spool Minox films. A Minox enlarger is a piece of art, haven't used mine yet. The advantage of DIY slitting is that one can experiment with various types, next will be expired 1600PR.

Godfrey - Thanks for posting these. I still enjoy using my Minox cameras occasionally. What did you use to digitize them? ---jb.

This set of negatives was casually/quickly captured to digital using a Leica CL with Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm copy setup. (In more rigorous capture mode, I use the same setup but with a good mask to eliminate flare. I did this one more quickly... )

Did you shoot those with a CE?

I don't know what a "CE" is. Do you mean Minox EC? ... This roll was shot with a Minox C (see picture at end).

Who is the rat with the knife.
Anyway, film, developer?
Right now I just loaded a IIIs with some old (expired 2009) Pan F slit from 35mm.
I plan on HC-110 dilution B and use my EM10 with a Vivitar 55mm macro with an extension tube to transfer the negs into a file.

Edit; Look ok to me, pretty good for such a tiny negative.

The crazy animal construction with the knife was a display in an "oddments" shop window in San Francisco. No idea what it was representing!!

APX100 processed in HC-110 @ 1:49 dilution for 7 min using the Minox Daylight Processing Tank. Not my favorite film in a Minox ... APX25 nets much much nicer negs.

Maybe someone should start a Minox picture thread...

If some moderator wants to edit the title on this thread and name is "Minox 8x11 - Photos", it can be the start of such a thread.

Minox C, Tri-X (slit from 5063), HC-110 "B", Optifilm 8200 scanner

Lovely photo! Like it a lot. :)

I bought a IIIs from a friend one day. It broke the same day (shutter blade separated). So I bought another IIIs the same day while shipping the original to DAG for repair. Then I got a B, a III, then what I thought was another III but based on the serial number it's a II.

They can make good photos, but require discipline in holding and estimating distance between 1m - 3m.

Addicting little things.

I have neither a film slitter or enlarger for that format, so I buy and process my film through Blue Moon.

I do have a slitter but haven't used it in 25 years ... I still have about 60 rolls of Minox 25 and 100 film in stock. I'll start slitting when I get low. (Actually, I should take one of my precious rolls of Ferrania P30 and slit it for a couple of rolls of Minox P30 to play with..)

I haven't printed in a darkroom with enlarger for more than 25 years. All my work is captured to digital and rendered through image processing software, printed on an inkjet printer now.

Lessee: I think I have IIIS, B, C, two EC cameras. The C is my favorite, actually, but I do more shooting with the EC than all the others put together. There are some more recent Minox photos in this album on Flickr.com: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmJhuGj7

And this is a search collection of all my photos made with Minox cameras on Flickr.com:
Minox photos by GDG

Agreed, very addicting. I have an original Minox tank but find it easier to develop using a JOBO 1501 tank with modified reels to spool Minox films. A Minox enlarger is a piece of art, haven't used mine yet. The advantage of DIY slitting is that one can experiment with various types, next will be expired 1600PR.

I've always used the Minox tank ... have three of them so I can do up to three rolls simultaneously. I've been into Minox photography since the 1970s. :D

This is a self-portrait shooting the C about 27 years ago...

43549527202_e9505605a8_b.jpg

Jeez, I look so darn young ..! The camera is the same C I use today, was made in 1971, IIRC, with the earlier Complan lens.

G

Addicting little things.

I live in Olympia, want me to throw together a 'pull through' film slitter for you. Of course you will need a dark space to slit and load film and some empty cassettes. I see Blue Moon is selling empty cassettes with coffins for $10 each.
Blue Moon is a great place and their prices for D and P are not out of line but holy cow, I just cannot afford them and do my own slitting, loading, and developing from start to finish.

I have a Minox tank I never use if anyone is interested.

I got the bug late last year and went on a tear. I traded someone for a Minox B back in the mid 90s but never used it because I never had any film. Then last year I made a simple three blade slitter. Once I had easy film I was off to the races. Since I have added another B, a C, a LX and an EC. They are a hoot to take pictures with. To slit film I take it off bulk rolls. Way more efficient that way. I keep the cut film stored in a bulk film tin in plastic. When I want to load they are ready. Works great. I also picked up a Minox enlarger. I'd used my Focomat 1c before that with a Minolta 30mm lens. That worked pretty well but the Minox enlarger is easier to use.

2019-053-40_ps_112.jpg

To slit film I take it off bulk rolls. Way more efficient that way. I keep the cut film stored in a bulk film tin in plastic. When I want to load they are ready. Works great. I also picked up a Minox enlarger. I'd used my Focomat 1c before that with a Minolta 30mm lens. That worked pretty well but the Minox enlarger is easier to use.

Same here, spooling 16 frames 135 film length (equivalent to 36 exposure 8x11) into an IXMOO, then cutting inside a dark bag using a three-blade splitter. Storing the film strips inside plastic in a 100ft film can. I have stock of plastic cassettes and now also two metal film cassettes, that can hold 50 exposure film strips.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to slitting films for the Minox,
wobbly edges and dust. Splurged for 100 speed bw film
@$20 a roll from Blue Moon.

maddoc: ditto on Minox enlarger being faster
but limited to 11x14, for that Minox neg masterpiece
I'll use the 45XL w/the 30mm/2.8 Minolta to 16x20.

I only have the IIIs, obtained about 6 years ago at a photo show. For cassettes I bought NOS film from ebay, dumped the old film and reloaded. Built the slitter, cassette brace and spinner stick for loading. Modified an old Yankee plastic reel for processing.
Prices on ebay for Minox 8X11 cameras are breathtaking. My IIIs was $40, now a working one as clean as mine would be over $100.
For enlargement I use a Mamiya Enla head for 16mm.
I only slit the length for about 25 shots and of course must load 2 cassettes at a time. The old Ilford is in a bulk roll in a Watson loader. I pull out the length I need, cut it off and pull it through the slitter, so nothing fancy.

I live in Olympia, want me to throw together a 'pull through' film slitter for you....

I appreciate the kind offer - but when I got the IIIs from Blue Moon to keep me busy while DAG worked on the broken one, I went crazy with Minox film buying because I was afraid it may not be available in the future. I've now got the lower part of my fridge totally filled with their "Spy Film" (really Ektar and Delta 100, 400, I'm told).

maddoc: ditto on Minox enlarger being faster
but limited to 11x14, for that Minox neg masterpiece
I'll use the 45XL w/the 30mm/2.8 Minolta to 16x20.

The Minox enlarger does make it quick. I filed out the carrier in mine to make it full frame. That was nerve wracking. Can't replace those little plates!

Has anyone tried to take pictures through binoculars?
Got a good deal on a binoculars clamp but have trouble finding precise information on focusing the eyepiece. I think the camera is left at infinity and focusing is done with the eyepiece. I don’t have the binocular center post clamp, those seem hard to source, but the eyepiece clamps are plentiful.

The kicker is that the only binoculars I own are cheap so not sure if it is even worth the trouble.

Has anyone tried to take pictures through binoculars?
Got a good deal on a binoculars clamp but have trouble finding precise information on focusing the eyepiece. I think the camera is left at infinity and focusing is done with the eyepiece. I don’t have the binocular center post clamp, those seem hard to source, but the eyepiece clamps are plentiful.

The kicker is that the only binoculars I own are cheap so not sure if it is even worth the trouble.

Here is the instruction manual on Mike Butkus's website:
https://www.cameramanuals.org/pdf_files/minox_binocular_attachment.pdf

(Note: Donation-ware ... I send M. Butkus a $20 donation every year for all the manuals I download from his site. The nominal donation is $3.)

I played with the clamp and a pair of Minox binoculars in the distant past and it works pretty well. :)

G

Thanks Godfrey, after my post I remembered submin.com and sure enough they had scans for the binocular clamp accessory instructions. Shows how to view/focus through the binoculars. Haven’t tried it yet though.

Back