Mixing C41 Chemicals.. Temperature?

bhop73

Well-known
Local time
3:18 AM
Hi, when mixing C41 for the past 10 or 15 years or so, I've always used tap water heated from the tap to my working temp, but I just got a new batch of chemicals (I usually use powder, but this one's liquid) and want to use distilled water this time instead of tap since my negatives are 100% always dirty when they dry. (this only happens to my color negatives, I use distilled with b&w and they're always clean)

So my question is, does it matter what temperature I mix c41 at? Like, can I pour the room temperature distilled water into the mix and heat it up when i'm ready to develop or should I heat up the water before mixing?

Definitely a good idea to use distilled water. If you are using liquid components it doesn't seem like the temperature would have any importance. The Cinestill documentation advises temperatures close to what you need for processing, but that only applies for convenience if you are going to process films immediately after mixing the chemicals. Otherwise, you can just use a heated water bath to raise the temps to the desired level. I am currently processing at 95 deg. F for 5.75 minutes for the first roll of film. Cinestill advises increasing developing time by 2% for each roll of film developed. I am on my 13th roll with my current kit and results seem fine.

Definitely a good idea to use distilled water. If you are using liquid components it doesn't seem like the temperature would have any importance. The Cinestill documentation advises temperatures close to what you need for processing, but that only applies for convenience if you are going to process films immediately after mixing the chemicals. Otherwise, you can just use a heated water bath to raise the temps to the desired level. I am currently processing at 95 deg. F for 5.75 minutes for the first roll of film. Cinestill advises increasing developing time by 2% for each roll of film developed. I am on my 13th roll with my current kit and results seem fine.

Thanks. I was thinking that if i'm heating it after I mix it, it will all in the bottles already so it should be more convenient.. or I could be overthinking it. I suppose I could heat the water in the bottles, then add the chemicals to the water.

Hi,I mix my Tetenal C41 kit up with distilled water from the container at room temperature,& it works fine.I develop at 38degrees C.

Back