Modern fast 50mm lenses for the Leica

Thanks Tom...I'll think about it...anyway the RF of my M7 is calibrated at least once a year ...
robert

I used to have Noctiluxes and I actually had a M3 calibrated and set up for them. This sometimes involved building up the focussing cam on the lens (silver soldering a couple of mm from the rear glass!) It did make a difference though. The Nokton f1.1 has not showed any focus shift. The trick is to shoot a series of tests and calibrate the body for the lens.

After a few years of using a ZM C-Sonnar on film, and then 1 year of using it on an M-E, I just got myself an E46 Summilux pre ASPH. I find that the focus shift of the Zeiss is really much worse on digital than on film, and I am impressed with the Summilux in comparison. That plus the close focus means that it will be the Summilux on my M-E from now on.

Cheers,
Rob

This is with the Nokton 50mm f/1.1 handheld right out of the box on my M3.

Leica M3, Nokton 50mm f/1.1 @ f/1.1, Tmax400.

Erik.

14936642657_5a8913a2d0_c.jpg

Get a ZM Planar and push your film :)
Or sell a kidney and get a 50 'lux. (Seriously though, the Planar is an incredible lens.)

So is a formula one race car, I can't afford second place...:)
Ah...

Perhaps RFF members would be kind enough to list the times they've achieved pole position.

And then the times that (let us say) Noctilux owners of their acquaintance have achieved pole position.

Cheers,

R.

While my memory's not too solid anymore, I have four children and some of them even look like me, so I assume I've achieved pole position a few times in my life.

I currently only have 2 50's: the ZM Sonnar (optimized at f1.5) and the ZM Planar. With these two, I really don't feel the need to own another 50, but wouldn't mind trying out the CV 50's: 1.1, 1.5, 2.0, 3.5.

Same for me : ZM Sonnar and Summarit-M f/2.5. I don't miss the Noctilux 50/1.0 I used 9 years along.
ZM Sonnar is a fast compact lens.
But Summarit-M is so tiny, and the perfect standard lens. They never speak of it. I apologize, I am proud to own this lens... a superior anti-snob snob choice.

I would say that the original Zeiss Sonnar 5cm 1.5 is even more a "superior anti snob snob choice" at the cost of around $300 for a clean example.

Vince, I have two or three lenses that Brian adapted to ltm. I have one lens that someone in the past adapted to ltm, and then you have the Contax-LTM adapter that can be used to just get Sonnars in Contax mount.
The factory adapted ltm Sonnars are hard to find for sale.

Off the top of my list of modern looking ~50's:

- Konica 50/2 Hexanon M-mount

- Leica Summicron
my favorite: the concave tabbed Canadian version since 1982 - smallest 50/2 Leica - same optics as Leica's current spherical 50 Summicron, focusses to 0.7m as well

- Pentax 43/1.9 LTM:
this is a special edition in Leica mount of the famed Pentax SLR lens, fantastic performer, modern look, lightweight, rather large for a ~50/2

- Leica Summilux pre ASPH E46
my favorite Leica 50mm, unfortunately sells mostly over 2000 USD used (in the 2200+ range actually)

- Leica Summilux pre ASPH E43
the 50 Summilux that made me look into the E46 - similar optics but MUCH longer focus throw and minimum focussing of 1m
also very unfortunate, the off beat 43mm filter thread (some filters will sort of fit, only specifically made for this thread filters really fit)
If you can stretch the budget, the later E46 is a much more useful lens (although generally ~500 USD more costly).

I never had the chance to try the Nokton 50/1.5 or Cosina Zeiss 50's.

The Nokton 50/1.1 is a sweet lens for the money, albeit large.
At some point I stopped using my large M lenses and really prefer smaller, lighter ones.

The Nokton 50/1.1 is a sweet lens for the money, albeit large.
At some point I stopped using my large M lenses and really prefer smaller, lighter ones.

I'm with you there. That's one reason why I have the 21, 28, 35, and 50 mm Color Skopars. Aside from the fact that I like their build and drawing qualities.
:)

The Nokton 50mm f/1.5 ASPH (LTM) has been my most used lens on the M9, however. Its drawing character reminds me most of the last pre-ASPH Summilux 50, which I never owned but used for a time in the 1990s. I'm satisfied with the Nokton, for now anyway.

G

you can always try the sonnar. but i must admit, that mine has a bit sticky/dry focus thread, which is why i do not use it more often.
and the v1 summilux is so sweet ... (albeit not what i'd call "modern").

;-)

I have and use (on my M8) the Nokton 50mm f1.1 and like it but to be honest I think I prefer the 1950s Summarit f1.5 simply because it has more interesting character although this makes it less suitable in some circumstances. Still the Voigtlander is a lens worthy of owning and using. You WILL struggle with accurate focus however. :^)

All of them are brilliant and will make all the great pictures you are capable of.
The limits of each of their picture making capability will not be tested by you and I.

Back