Monitor Calibration

After you calibrate your screen, you still have to figure out how to match your calibrated screen to your printer output with print profiles. It is a real rabbit hole, taking on a life of its own.

After investigating this subject with my engineering friends in the Display Hardware department, and in the Color Management portion of the OS development team where I used to work, they all recommended the Xrite products, regardless of screen manufacture, and were rather less supportive of the less expensive hardware and software solutions.

Nowadays, I use the Xrite i1 Display Pro; it's my third colorimeter/software package since I started doing this in 2003, stepping up as the software required and the hardware improved. I've tested its calibration on a 2015 Apple Thunderbolt 27" Display every three months since I acquired this display and found it to be utterly, absolutely stable. To match my printer output with extremely high fidelity, I've calibrated the display with targets 110 cdm^2 luminance, 5500°K white point, and 1.8 gamma—rather different from the typical display calibrations I see in common use in the past five or six years, but I really don't give a hoot what's in common use as long as the results are what I want. My photos are all output for display and posting with an sRGB color profile, and I test them looking at them with various other systems from time to time (iPad Pro, Windows <whatever>, other Mac systems, etc).

So far I haven't seen anything to indicate that I need a better display or any different colorimeter/calibration and profiling software.

G

The Eizo monitors we are talking about are the Color Edge / Color Guard monitors. Eizo makes a full range of monitors for other purposes that are not of interest for color managed computing.
When I bought my Eizo CX271 with built-in sensor about 6 years ago, I felt that the price was equivalent to the Apple Thunderbolt plus an X-rite calibration tool. I have not followed Eizo prices since then. The Eizo CX271 completed solved the monitor part of the work flow. Now I only worry about camera profile creation and printer (Canon iPF) profile creation.

Back