Moskva 5 lens standard alignment.

fidget

Lemon magnet
Local time
9:24 AM
The lure of the larger negs has a hold of me, I have recently bought a '59 Moskva 5. It's a beauty, a little clean and lube of the outer cell thread, rf alignment and it's ready to try.
I've never had any luck with (cheaper) 120 folders in the past, so I am trying to give this the best chance to perform well, so have been checking it closely. I notice that when erected the lens assembly is not exactly parallel to the film plane. As the lens assy locks into position, it appears to move a little too far, passing it's position and swings a little too far. Everything looks to be in good unworn condition.

Has anyone dealt with this problem?

Dave.....

Xmas said:
Check the film plane with 3m magic tape first.

Noel
Hi Noel,
you've got me there, at the risk of looking just a little dumb, what should I do with 3m tape?
(Unless you mean to use the tape as a screen to look for a focus problem?)

Dave,

PS, are you always online?

Thanks Noel, your help is much appreciated. Checking the focus is a good idea. I had a go, but it seems that I can't see any great differences across the screen. (although I'm sure I will when prints are made 12x16). Perhaps my ground glass is a little too rough, so not allowing "fine" images to be seen. I was going to set it up "mechanically" then check with exposures. I wonder how these adjustments are best made....
Regards, Dave....

If you have a brick wall or a test chart and the left and right are different then it it the lens or the body... Not easy to distinguish.

If you are sure a metal workers vice and torqu will fix an offset at the risk or having two separate parts. There may be easy adjustements, google time.

Noel

Back