Moskva 5 progress.

fidget

Lemon magnet
Local time
7:19 PM
Developed the first test film from my folder. I think that the lens assy isn't quite parallel to the film plane, but wanted to run a test for light leaks etc before I attended to this (if the pics show that it might be worth it).
Well the test for light leaks was a success, there's plenty. Top and bottom of the film in the rebates. I sealed the back using the 2mm strips from the kit I got from John Goodman (done a few cameras now). Whilst i was doing this I noticed that the internal cover for the little red window (6x9) didn't seal the window when closed. This could be the source of most or all of the leaks.
Today i ran another film through, half with the red window covered with black tape, and half without. We'll see.
And the pics? well they certainly have lots of detail, this is looking very promissing. Wow 6x9 negs, almost real-estate?
Anyone else suffered from leaks?

Taping the window is a help.
Out here in the brilliant desert sun, even that was not enough. Opening them in the shade of my body and going as quickly as possible still allowed light to get to the film.

Red Window Leaks

Red Window Leaks

On a slightly different note: Try as I may, but I've not been able to have the red windows cause any form of fogging in my film. I've even purposely left the window cover open on several of my cameras and lugged them around in situations lit under bright tropical sunlight just to see if I would ever get this effect. But nada, no fogging. The Moskwa-5 was one of these cameras, as well as Lubitels, and an old Zeiss Ikon 6X9 folder. Even a 400-speed film in a Komsomolyets which did not have a window cover and whose window filter had faded to pink did not produce the fog. Er, what could I be doing wrong here?

Jay

Jay, don't feel like you have been left out. You have been trying test to failing point and Steve has to find a darker place to wind a frame on. I had noticed on other 120 cameras with windows, that I have not yet (fingers crossed) seen that light gets through the film backing, which I thought could happen. The problem in my Moskva seems to be that the light entering through the window then gets behind and around the pressure plate. If this is my only problem, then tape will be a good solution, unless I have Steve's luck.

Dave...

Last edited:
I was just looking at the negs again and realised that an irregular spacing between similar looking marks from leaks could very well be where I wound the film on, the film stopping momentarily between me re-gripping the wind knob. Maybe i have one like Steve's.

Last edited:
fidget said:
I was just looking at the negs again and realised that an irregular spacing between similar looking marks from leaks could very well be where I wound the film on, the film stopping momentarily between me re-gripping the wind knob. Maybe i have one like Steve.

This is exactly the sort of thing I saw. I did associate it with increased exposure to the leak as I stopped along to way to wind the film.

I wonder if I could make a 2cm square and thin bellows from120 film backing to block the light from the sides of the plate. Maybe a curtain of soft foam behind the plate, if it's soft enough a block with viewing holes backing the plate.
Is that silly?
Going to do the next film this morning.

I have run perhaps 4 rolls thru my Moskva 5.

The 120 rolls didn't have any leaks.

My stubborn insistence on trying 220, with the 6x6 mask further taped off to 6x4.5 and hand counting exposures rewarded me with lots of leaks, all reddish orange. This would seem to point at the red window, but I tried to make it more complicated and imagine it was white light coming thru the bellows and reciprocity failing with a red shift.

I tried some really rotten phototape (Kalt -worthless crap, black only on one surface, white thruout, full of pinholes) all over the back & window and put it in the case and still had red streaks in various directions. It was so bad I thought the bellows must be shot.

I gave up on the 220 obsession and got the two good 120 rolls with a bare camera, no tape, no case. Very puzzling.

Maybe I should try 220 again. I have some excellent 3M 235 solid black photo tape that IS opaque.

Murray, you must enjoy a challenge! When i was looking closely at the fit of the back, I thought that some light could be getting in at the locking side of the back. I stuck a piece of velvety type stuff (from foam kit from interslice- recommended) to cover this and extend a little into the back when fitted so that the joint was covered. It seems that my leak was through the red window, but if some were getting in here (or the other side, i guess) 120 film may not be effected due to it's backing.
Dave...

Back