Moskva 5

captainslack

Five Goats Hunter
Local time
5:19 PM
Just gave into GAS and bought one of these from a guy in Canada for $50. Can anyone give me some insight into what I can expect?

Assuming you have one of the good lenses, which I seem to in the one I bought from Steve on this site, you should get sharp , contrasty images with really good saturation from a film like Fuji Superia 100. I'm going to order some Kodak UC in both 100 and 400 ISO to see how they do for spring landscapes. If you have problems with it mechanically, Certo6 does a nice job on these as he did for Steve before I bought it.

It's a bit big and awkward, but once you get used to it, it's capable of some really fine images.
6x9 negatives are a joy.
If your copy is light tight and the shutter works, you got a steal.

Post Script on the Moskva 5, the cheapo Espon 3170 will handle one frame of 6x9 with its own 120 film carrier, and does a suprisingly good job for its low price; it even does 48 bit, but produces humongo file sizes.

captainslack said:
Just gave into GAS and bought one of these from a guy in Canada for $50. Can anyone give me some insight into what I can expect?

I have a Moskva 5 and I was lucky, because shutter is ok and bellows tight. But results were not very good, the camera did not focus as it should, although the lens is in pristine condition. I got to the following link http://www.dvdtechcameras.com/info/1.htm and followed the instructions on correcting infinity focus. It was not a rangefinder misaligment but only lens adjustment: the front element rotates (for adjustment) and may rotate inadvertly, making focus very difficult (and soft pictures!).

Since then, very happy shooting! The lens is ok and 6x9 chromes are wonderful to watch. When closed, the camera is small enough to carry around easily (it's more compact than my Rolleiflex 3.5f).

It's not a fast camera. Tripod, soft release, take your time. Some quirks on ergonomics (left shutter release, terrible viewfinder, stiff focus...) but if you take it slow, it's ok.

Picture quality is not the same as the Planar 75/3.5 from my Rollei but it's pretty decent.

Have fun with it!

Got the camera on Saturday and took it for a trial run a little while ago.

First impressions were good!! I like the feel of it and so far it doesn't appear to have any mechanical issues. *crosses fingers* I guess the telling will be when I get the film back.

Does anyone know what the filter size of the Industar 24 is?

Back