Mount almost any lens on a Nikon mirrorless

M optics while avoiding autofocus

M optics while avoiding autofocus

I am trying to come to terms with the Z-7 so as to get it to focus properly. Otherwise it is quite good but a bit bulky.

Like all Autofocus systems, the native 24-70 has an unfortunate ability to react to the closest twig rather than to where I wish the focus to be. My Leitz M and R optics serve well on an ordinary adapter once the focus point of the camera is tamed.

Even when the excellent 100% magnification front button is used, the central focus point moves around "on its own" when the camera is handled and hinders one in nailing focus.

There is no firmware option to neuter the offending buttons, I have considered using superglue to immobilize the pernicious rear buttons, but ability to bring the little green frame back to the center by one press and the ability to choose to menu options might suffer.

Conclusion, auto is fine, but manual is both cheaper and also more precise (if the situation allows time to do battle with the buttons)

p.

That is pretty neat....and not too expensive either.

I wonder how good it works?

Most of us own many manual focus lenses, now referred to by some as "vintage glass".

I am trying to come to terms with the Z-7 so as to get it to focus properly. Otherwise it is quite good but a bit bulky.

Like all Autofocus systems, the native 24-70 has an unfortunate ability to react to the closest twig rather than to where I wish the focus to be. My Leitz M and R optics serve well on an ordinary adapter once the focus point of the camera is tamed.

Even when the excellent 100% magnification front button is used, the central focus point moves around "on its own" when the camera is handled and hinders one in nailing focus.

There is no firmware option to neuter the offending buttons, I have considered using superglue to immobilize the pernicious rear buttons, but ability to bring the little green frame back to the center by one press and the ability to choose to menu options might suffer.

Conclusion, auto is fine, but manual is both cheaper and also more precise (if the situation allows time to do battle with the buttons)

p.

I think you might need more time studying the camera's manual.
I have a Z6, and I can make it focus where I want, can center the Af box with the push of a single button, and can use my manual focus glass without issue. It took me a little time to set that up the way I like it, but it is possible.

p.

That certainly has not been my experience, even with the first firmware. Be sure to update to the latest firmware, and it is even better. Birds in Flight better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWIoYOv9kRg
This is just an example, there are many sources of information out there.
You should be enjoying autofocus on this camera, and well as manual focus.
Just trying to be helpful, no reason to suffer needlessly.

It's ok. It is like turning your Z into an N2020. Autofocus can be good or it can miss. Needs some work IMHO.

I just loaded the most recent firmware. Still no option to neuter the "No-joy" stick. It keeps moving the spot-meterinmg and focus point making manual focus and framing more complicated. The less buttons one has to press while waiting for the light & motive to disappear, the better. Hoping for Nikon to make the use of "foreign" lenses easy may perhaps be in vain.

Further to the comment above ad the manual: nothing there about avoiding faffing about with buttons. A simple optional "do nothing" command for EACH button would be most welcome.

p.

Good to see the innovation happening. Have for a couple of years now enjoyed being able to use most ANY lens on my Sony bodies with $25-$70 adapters.

With the focus aids, especially peaking, in my Sony mirrorless bodies, it is very easy to focus manually. Frankly, I'm suspicious of the accessory AF adapters. Really good AF is an engineering marvel, some camera bodies do it well with OEM-brand lenses, some do not. I have avoiding the AF-adapter path. (I do use Sony and Zeiss AF lenses on my Sony bodies.)

Today I tried to use the thin MFT toZ ring with my micro4/3 adapters that were employed to fix my old fullframe lenses on my former olympus PenF and expected them to vignette, but no zero darkened corners not with the canon 15mm fisheye at f2,8 nor with a Minolta 135 at any aperture.

Only problem was with an OM-lens on the long macro extension tube (the 135macro) where the corners were cut off (not, however, when the same lens + extender was used on another adapter)

My metabones Contax-G adapter had too thick "bayonet wings" to fit, but my metabones Alpa adapter was a perfect fit so since no Alpa-Z adapter exists and is unlikely to be made, this combination will do. The proper MFT lenses of course have too small an image circle to be used, but adding the narrow MFT opening in ffront of the generous Z mount did not cause any problems except with the very long extension.similar absence of vignetting for the Leica M to.Z adapter although i have not used it with bellows yet.

No point in employing old MFT adapters for "longer mount" lenses since they can be fitted with firm adapters to Canon EF and mounted on the quite wide EF -Z adapter.

lenses dependent on electronic contacts for focussing and setting the aperture are not suited.

P.

If you want a good walkabout lens for your Z7 I found that the 16-50 that came with my Zfc works just fine on my Z7. Perfect focal length range and very, very light. f3.5-6.3 makes it pretty much a daylight lens though.

Back