Mounting, Matting, Framing

Dave,

I'd be interested to know how you like using the acrylic sheets versus glass. I suppose they scratch easier but I don't have the money for the expensive glass panes - and the last time I showed an images the glass I used gave my photograph and mat a greeish hue. Do you find the acrylic to be good for that? Do you have dust/static problems when framing? I would think it at least makes the frame lighter, so better for shipping to shows I would imagine...

Matt

Dave,

I'd be interested to know how you like using the acrylic sheets versus glass. I suppose they scratch easier but I don't have the money for the expensive glass panes - and the last time I showed an images the glass I used gave my photograph and mat a greeish hue. Do you find the acrylic to be good for that? Do you have dust/static problems when framing? I would think it at least makes the frame lighter, so better for shipping to shows I would imagine...

Matt

Matt,

I like the acrylic because it is noticeably less weight and has more shock resistance than glass, esp around the edges. It probably scratches more easily, simply because it is more ductile (flexible). I don't see any coloration to the acrylic.

The light weight was once very important because the cafe only let me use "stickies" to hang the framed pictures.

I have never shipped framed pictures.

Dust is the enemy ! I dust-vacuum-dust the area first. Then dust me! Then the frame, acrylic, matted picture. Static charge on anything will attract dust; I have thought about running a humidifier in the area to decrease static charge. I work as fast as I can to get the picture closed up. I am now also using painters tape on the back to dust seal the assembly. It removes easily when switching out pictures.

Have to be a bit careful in cleaning the acrylic surface after the print is mounted and hung on the wall. It will scratch so you need a soft cloth. Take care with any 'cleaner' applied to the cloth because it isn't glass you are cleaning.
I've had no problems with prints framed over 5 years ago - they don't hang in direct sunlight!

jesse

A local framer admired one of my prints 10 years ago, so I gave him a copy, about 10"x15". The print was on Han Photo [cotton] Rag; mats were archival, and inks were MIS carbon pigments. But it was framed with ordinary glass and hung within ~ 15" of a fluorescent fixture. In spite of all the archival care, the fluorescent lamps gave off enough UV that the print was ruined (faded) after 6-7 years. Lesson learned: use UV filtering glass (expensive) or appropriate plastic.

HFL

I am more likely to be framing paintings than photographs. I, too, think Michael's is expensive except for occasional frame sales, if you can bide your time. My supplier for everything else is a company with the unlikely name of Dick Blick. I have been using them for something like 20 years. Very dependable, & has a very comprehensive catalog. And large matte board 28" x 44" [and other boards] have to be ordered n 10s, but can be mixed. Those of you not in the states will want to check shipping.

Dick Blick is now just Blick, and in Boston it is conveniently located in the old Sears building on Park Drive.

I haven't yet visited, but will do so shortly and report back.

HFL

I'm late to the convo here -- but I order my frames online at pictureframes.com -- I only order those that are metal and that you put together yourself. I go to a local plastics store to order acrylics to size. It's as cheap and convenient as I can find! I ship across country, often so all these pieces for their value make a big difference!

Back