Moving away from Photoshop and Adobe software

johannielscom

Snorting silver salts
Local time
8:30 PM
Hi,

I've upgraded (ahem, well sorta) from a 2011 to a 2013 iMac, running on Catalina. Which is also its upgrade horizon, cannot upgrade to any newer operating system.

I used to work on a very old version of Photoshop, CS3. With the current Catalina I cannot run the old CS3 version of Photoshop anymore. I have no interest at all in enrolling on the newer subscription system Adobe offers.

For my editing work I have successfully switched to DxO Photolab in the 2019, currently on version 4.0. So by bye Lightroom already and I have the editing bit covered! But there's more...

I am looking for an app (or multiple apps even!) that can supply me with the following features:
  • photo stitching
  • image sizing in inches or centimeters, extending the canvas past the image dimensions
  • printer and color management
  • caption adding
I am so adverse to the subscription strategy that I certainly will use multiple programs to accomplish said tasks so if you can recommend any app that can perform a single task from the above list, I'm interested.

So, shoot! Thanks!

Qimage is probably the choice for printer management.

id be interested in alternatives to the Adobe pricing model.

Currently looking into Affinity Photo, suggested from Facebook where I also put this question up. Sure looks good in conjunction with DxO Photolab 4.0.

DxO Photolab for batch processing (which I rarely do on filmbased images, but do a lot on digital files) and Affinity Photo for cut-to-size edits, sizing, titling, printing.
It offers access to color space management for printing too, but I am looking for the option to have Affinity control the printer instead of the printer doing this for itself. May have to look into this Qimage software for that then.

Somebody also asked me (again, on FB) why I dislike the subscription model. I guess I'm just a stubborn old dog, but also there's this: when owning software, it is my choice to upgrade whenever I choose to do so, enabling me to maintain a workflow for a project, series etc. until I decide to abandon it or upgrade. It eliminates the risk of having software upgrades or newer operating systems forced on me at moments where I really am not ready to commit to them.

I've been using RAW Power by Gentlemen Coders. From my understanding they are the folks who developed Aperture for Apple back in the day. It works very similar to Aperture, and combined with Photoshop Elements (which you can still buy outright, no subscription pricing) I've been able to do much of what I used to be able to do.

Would be interested in finding out more about this VMware Fusion, as I have a stand alone license for Photoshop CS6 as well as CS3 and would love to be able to run either on my 2021 iMac (Intel) which is still running Catalina.

Best,
-Tim

Currently looking into Affinity Photo, suggested from Facebook where I also put this question up. Sure looks good in conjunction with DxO Photolab 4.0.

DxO Photolab for batch processing (which I rarely do on filmbased images, but do a lot on digital files) and Affinity Photo for cut-to-size edits, sizing, titling, printing.
It offers access to color space management for printing too, but I am looking for the option to have Affinity control the printer instead of the printer doing this for itself. May have to look into this Qimage software for that then.

Somebody also asked me (again, on FB) why I dislike the subscription model. I guess I'm just a stubborn old dog, but also there's this: when owning software, it is my choice to upgrade whenever I choose to do so, enabling me to maintain a workflow for a project, series etc. until I decide to abandon it or upgrade. It eliminates the risk of having software upgrades or newer operating systems forced on me at moments where I really am not ready to commit to them.

The adobe subscription does not force newer operating systems on you. I've been using it for years on an ancient Mac Pro that will not run the current versions of Photoshop and Lightroom. When I first began using Adobe CC, my mac would run the then-current subscription software and for a couple years it let me install updates as they became available. Eventually, the software needed a newer OS and newer hardware then I have.

No problem, it let me keep running the last version that works on my old Mac. If I replace my computer, I'll be able to access the current versions. Actually, I DO have the current versions on my Microsoft Surface Pro 5 tablet.

I have been using Affinity Photo for a year now. It does everything I need and then some. Loads of tutorials on youtube that are very informative.

interesting, I'll look into that!

I like this option as I've been using photoshop forever, don't have to learn new software, new menus, etc.

The virtual machine uses a Mojave install, 32 bit, running on 64 bit Catalina.

I also still use the patched version of Aperture with Catalina, which normally won't work on 64 bit.

.... Somebody also asked me (again, on FB) why I dislike the subscription model. I guess I'm just a stubborn old dog, but also there's this: when owning software, it is my choice to upgrade whenever I choose to do so, enabling me to maintain a workflow for a project, series etc. until I decide to abandon it or upgrade. It eliminates the risk of having software upgrades or newer operating systems forced on me at moments where I really am not ready to commit to them.

I understand the resistance to software subscriptions. I felt that way when Adobe introduced their subscription model. I now feel it's pretty amazing that for about the cost of one roll of film each month we can get Lightroom and Photoshop. You can disable auto-updates, but I've let them run for years and never had an issue. Of all I spend on photography, I consider the CC subscription a real bargain.

John

Johann. I too abhor the subscription model for Photoshop and refuse to do it.
A very kind fellow RFFer gave me Photoshop CS5 during the holidays. Neither of us bothered to find out the operating system of either the software or my computer.
Well, turns out my computer is windows and the software is Mac. A boxed CD of PS5 is sitting in my home office......No subscription with PS5.... great, but I can't use it.
But you could. I know you're across the Atlantic from me, but postage couldn't be THAT bad. Could it?

Back