Moving to digital

awilder

Alan Wilder
Local time
12:46 AM
After shooting film for almost 40 years and Leicas for about 30, I've relunctanly sold my all my M gear save for a 50/2, 90/2 and 135/4, all of which I use on my E-P2. My film shooting has almost always been slides, a medium that's becoming increasingly more difficult to use, mainly due to limited/slow E-6 processing. I fear things will only worsen in the future. Even our local camera club has discontinued monthly slide contests last year due to lack of participants. While my heart tells me film has certain quality advantages to digital, my brain tells me film improvements are not in the future but digital sensors and cameras are surely to keep progressing.

If I only shoot slides, I probably would join you.

Other than Kodachrome, which to my eyes still looks different than any other slide films, I think digital has exceeded 35mm slide films in almost every aspect. And I agree that it's only a matter of time before larger digital sensors can compete with Medium/Large format slides.

B&W film photography on the other hand, with its unique processes from exposure to print, still holds the bulk of my fascination with photography. There is nothing even remotely comparable in the digital realm in terms of satisfaction.

And I agree that it's only a matter of time before larger digital sensors can compete with Medium/Large format slides.

Oh, large format backs can, for a long time already. They still are either scan or shift-and-stitch, and hence useless for non-static applications, and in a thinning market that has mostly replaced commercial architectural and pack shot photography with renderings or post-processing paint jobs, chances are that we won't see much development there - even digital medium format seems to be engaged in a downward fight against the ever-lowering demands on picture quality...

In your position I do not blame you one bit. I hope you enjoy it.

Bob

I am encountering the same situation and have not quite decided what will replace my film camera with. The problem is I still have a lot of rolls in the ice box, so until I finish all the inventory, film will be my medium of choice. Even after I switch to digital, I will still continue to shoot B&W film.

I agree with B&W film users that this medium will be around throughout our lifetime. Given the quality of the medium, ease of processing and the abilty to push to high speeds, I too would keep using film bodies if shooting a lot of B&W. I still have my Nikon F100 for what little film I shoot and have left in the fridge.

Well, I still have film bodies as well as digital, but I shoot virtually no slide any more, and not a lot of colour neg. But for black and white...

Then again, my slides were essentially for repro, so digi makes more sense.

Cheers,

R.

After shooting film for almost 40 years and Leicas for about 30, I've relunctanly sold my all my M gear save for a 50/2, 90/2 and 135/4, all of which I use on my E-P2. My film shooting has almost always been slides, a medium that's becoming increasingly more difficult to use, mainly due to limited/slow E-6 processing. I fear things will only worsen in the future. Even our local camera club has discontinued monthly slide contests last year due to lack of participants. While my heart tells me film has certain quality advantages to digital, my brain tells me film improvements are not in the future but digital sensors and cameras are surely to keep progressing.

Hmmm...did it ever occur to anyone that we only have ourselves to blame for lack of film usage? Again, I find it odd that it is either film or digital for most people. Why not both?

its sad to see you leave, but we will be happy to welcome you back :)

(see ? this is contrast, something you don't really have at its best with digital)

seriously no hard feelings. have fun :)

Just got back a recent role of E-6. After waiting 12 days, the role came back with scratches in the middle of the frame on some of the shots. Not the first time it's happened but something that's always annoyed me a bit about film.

I shot slides almost exclusively for a number of years and then, after my kids were born, devolved into using point and shoots and color film putting my other film cameras away. I got sucked into the digital realm, first with P&S and then a DSLR and I love the digital world but like so many others have found I felt something was missing. So I bought a Leica M4 and some BW400CN and dipped my toes back in the water and the water's fine. ;)

You've already sold your gear so it's too late but I'm glad I've kept all my old film cameras (OM's, Minolta and Yashica RF's, etc.). Right now, the only film camera getting play is the M4 because it's my newest toy but it's so much more fun to use than the digital stuff.

Back