MP vs CLA'd M6 with MP viewfinder

f.hayek

Well-known
Local time
7:43 PM
Have a Leica CLA'd M6 with a 0.85 finder (wonderful, light camera) with upgraded VF optics. Meister camera is selling new MPs for $4500. Sorely tempted. Any thoughts from the group here about selling one to get the other? Is an MP "all that"?

The only real differences are the wind lever (MP is all metal, M6 has the plastic tip), the rewind (MP has the M3/M2 style knob, M6 has the crank inclined at a 45 degree angle), and the finish on the top and bottom plates (M6 is either chrome or black chrome, MP offers black paint as an option).

Although I disliked the inclined rewind crank on the M6 bodies I owned, if I were in your position, I'd just keep the M6. The MP will cost you about $1000 more than you'll get selling your M6 and will get you very little difference for it.

I always hated the round rewind more than anything. Reason I never cottoned to the M3. Try rewinding in a hurry, or with heavy gloves on. But it does look so retro, which is what's really important.

I have a MP and the only big advantage over the M6 is the viewfinder.
if you have already the viewfinder upgraded, save your money for a lens

The internals are way more different than most people suggest, even if the cameras are functionally equivalent. The meter and its circuitry, for example, are completely different between the M6 and MP, and the materials used for a lot of the internal structural parts are different. The MP is also newer.

Leica stopped selling the 0.58 and 0.85 finders at the same time they closed the A la Carte program. Probably your biggest decision is about the finder - do you want or need a 0.85 finder? If you want it in a new MP you’ll have to buy the new camera and have the finders switched before you sell the M6. How important is that view to you?

Last edited:
I would choose a black paint MP over any M6, but I would never sell a camera that I am happy with to fund another camera. It always leads to regrets.
Don’t ask me how I know.

If I were to buy one, I'd get the MP. I like the classic style advance and rewind more (who shoots a Leica for its quickness?!) and it is serviceable. From what I have gathered the circuit boards of the M6 are in short and dwindling supply, so many M6s will turn into expensive M4-Ps in the future (though that future might still be a distant one).

But since you have a serviced and well-functioning M6, I say you have little to gain from the upgrade, at least in terms of usability.

A Leica-M can be very fast! I used my M3 at a rodeo and captured everything, including sequences without motor wind or drive. That small rewind knob a pain, but never breaks. No new Leica-M could ever equal the M3. I have M6TTL. The framing pathetic. The white out certainly a pest. But it's all we get, digital or film.

Last edited:
Keep your M6 and buy the MP. Changing lenses in the field is cumbersome and makes you miss shots. Shoot ‘em both for a couple years, then if you decide you don’t need 2 cameras sell 1. You won’t loose much money, and might make money if you time it right.

Have a Leica CLA'd M6 with a 0.85 finder (wonderful, light camera) with upgraded VF optics. Meister camera is selling new MPs for $4500. Sorely tempted. Any thoughts from the group here about selling one to get the other? Is an MP "all that"?

A little OT, but is the MP price you mention less VAT and including shipping?

I have an M6 as well and have been considering an MP. Aside from the prospect of a new film M (never had one), my concern is a failed meter being unrepairable.

John

If I were to buy one, I'd get the MP. I like the classic style advance and rewind more (who shoots a Leica for its quickness?!) and it is serviceable. From what I have gathered the circuit boards of the M6 are in short and dwindling supply, so many M6s will turn into expensive M4-Ps in the future (though that future might still be a distant one).

But since you have a serviced and well-functioning M6, I say you have little to gain from the upgrade, at least in terms of usability.

It's been said here and repeated from time to time that M6 circuit boards will go bad. It has also been said that one must not buy an M7, for it will surely go bad, the circuit board will fail, the camera will be useless. It would be good to have some actual data on failure rates. I think I'll check if there are any threads on this; if not, maybe I will start a survey.

Personally I have an upgraded (by DAG) early M6 with finder upgrade and M2 style lever; and an MP. No problems with either.

A Leica-M can be very fast! I used my M3 at a rodeo and captured everything, including sequences without motor wind or drive. That small rewind knob a pain, but never breaks. No new Leica-M could ever equal the M3. I have M6TTL. The framing pathetic. The wipe out certainly a pest. But it's all we get, digital or film.

I puzzled over this until I realized this was probably meant to say, "white-out," not "Wipe out."

I would take an MP with its brass top plate over an M6, thought i got rid of my MP with it's viewfinder crowded with framelines and went back to an M4...which suits me better.

A little OT, but is the MP price you mention less VAT and including shipping?

I have an M6 as well and have been considering an MP. Aside from the prospect of a new film M (never had one), my concern is a failed meter being unrepairable.

John

Without VAT but with shipping

I would get the MP 1) if I could spare and justify the money and 2) if it had the 0.85 VF magnification.

Can never really spare the change. Wonder if you asked Leica, would the upgrade the finder to a 0.85 if you asked nicely (and paid the steep charge).

Can never really spare the change. Wonder if you asked Leica, would the upgrade the finder to a 0.85 if you asked nicely (and paid the steep charge).

I imagine you could swap the finder of the new MP out with the 0.85 MP finder currently in your M6.

I believe you'd regret such a transaction. Rewind knobs notwithstanding, functionally they're identical; and you'd be giving up the .85 finder.

I'm reminded of when the MP was released in 2003 at the outrageous MAP price of $2,595, my local Leica dealer (PopFlash.Photo) refused to stock it.

[/QUOTE]

Leica will still swap an MP to 0.58 or 0.85. Price is north of $1,000.

Back