My First 5x7 Baryta Prints - Your Economical Printing Workflow?

raydm6

Yay! Cameras! 🙈🙉🙊┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘ [◉"]
Local time
5:00 AM
I thought I’d try some baryta paper with my meager small home all-in-one printer.

These are my first two prints out of the shoot and am pretty happy with the results. I didn’t use any ICC profiles as I didn’t see any for my machine and just made small adjustments in the print settings.

I just print for myself and not too concerned with archival quality, but I must say I am quite happy with an economical workflow: Epson XP-640 printer, Epson 410 Claria Premium 4-dye color inks (Photo Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) and 1-pigment Black ink, and MOAB Juniper Baryta 100% Rag (305 gsm). I will buy and try some of their 8.5 x 11 paper soon.

This paper resembles traditional fiber silver-based printing paper:

Moab’s Juniper Baryta Rag 305 is a double-weight, 100% cotton inkjet paper with a “true baryta base," which refers build-wise to the inclusion of barium sulfate in the mix but aesthetics-wise to having the look and feel of traditional silver-based darkroom printing papers. While that descriptive reference might be more poetic than experiential for many folks these days, it is a good thing. Its weight, richness and tonal depth separate it from many RC-type inkjet papers, plus it has one more laudable characteristic: lack of OBAs (optical brightening agents), those brighteners used in many papers that help give them a stark, cold white base coat.

https://www.shutterbug.com/content/m...rag-305-review

It has a really nice feel and aesthetic.

Curious about others’ economic workflows, inks, and paper choices?

Attachments

• 96C39CA1-58E8-425A-95C6-C33745684EDC.jpg
    96C39CA1-58E8-425A-95C6-C33745684EDC.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 11
I am interested in finding a small format (letter sized) inkjet that still can make decent photos so I'm watching, thanks.

I have not been printing lately, but I think I will again in the near future. I am a color photographer and prefer digital to film these days, but I think I will print on Matte paper with a lot of texture. Well, that is the idea at least.

Back