My first Leica Wedding!

Sweet! Some nice shots there.

What did you glean from this experience that you would apply to the next?

Hello all! well I have just got the prints and negatives back from the lab and here are the results. I shot this using my Leica M6ttl with a 40mm Nokton and a 90mm Elmarit. The film used was fujifilm pro 400H exposed at 200asa. I was the second shooter so there is a lack of bridal shots but I have admit that it was most enjoyable not having to lug around a large DSLR lens and body...long live rangefinder photography and long live film!
This was my only second wedding but I'm aiming to do a few more and get some more practice!

http://stevetingphotography.blogspot.com/2010/04/pete-sineads-wedding.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveting/sets/72157623759044410/

Cheers
Steve

Excelent work. Great eye for detail and for story telling! It is the way a Leica should be used-- IMO anyway.

Thanks for posting.

BTW: They are not "jeff style" as someone posted. His are fine too but yours are unique.

I like your approach. Friendly and Personal...
Do you use two cameras with a different lens...Thinking 28 on one, and a 50 on the other... Regardless, nice work.

Bravo, you got some wonderful shots, you should be paid for it! :D
I love the cinematic rendition, it looks like in some movies.

cinematic rendition comes to mind indeed. Hats off, well done!

Maybe I should get into the market in NL, I sure could use the extra buck, even when low-balling...

I am absolutely floored by the kind comments from this thread. Thank you all so very much!

Bingley - Yes I have heard of Riccis, im not sure about anyone else of this forum but im a avid listener of the inside analog radio podcast and he was featured on there. I love his work its very raw but stunning. The lens I used were a 40mm Nokton and a 90mm Elmarit. I was lucky because I was given the 90mm a couple of weeks before the wedding. However that proved a bit of a gamble as I only managed to put through a couple of rolls of b&w before the big day and I had no idea how it would perform with color.

T.s.k - I guess if truth be told the one main thing I learned during this shoot was to have confidence in my ability to get the photos and to trust the film. There was some initial fear at the start that I couldn't keep relying on a LCD screen and chimp my way through it. Also it is important to keep thinking...how would does this photo fit into the story?

DNG - I wish I had two bodies! Being a student it took me three years to save up for my leica M6ttl so it doesn't look like I can afford another body anytime soon. I wore a small crumpler satchel and changed out the lens when I needed them. I only used one film emulsion so changing lens wasn't a huge deal.

Really good pictures, simple and clear. I like the protraits (like the three man) and the details (shining shoes!). Well done.
robert
PS just one question: you exposed @200. Was the development standard or you get a different treatment ?

Last edited:
Thanks Rob - no there was no change in the development, I never tell my lab to push or pull a film. This is a common technique used by film based wedding photographers like Jose Villa and Leah McCormick to create a more pastel look. I was blown away when I first tried it and when printed on the fuji laserjet printers on crystal archive paper the results are truly stunning.

Good stuff, mate... As you stated, the beauty about film is that you know exactly what you are getting once you get to know it.

One more tip... If your lab has a Fuji Frontier scanner, ask them to scan your film on it... This, coupled with how you are overexposing your film will make your colors even nicer (similar to Jose's and Leah's).

Thanks for sharing!

Wow thanks Riccis Im absolutely stoked that you enjoyed my photos! Funny thing is it was your interview on inside analog that spurned me on to get a Leica M and use it as a viable wedding camera. The prints were all done a frontier but i have no idea about the scanner. Unfortunately there is not too much choice in New Zealand.

Hows the leica roadshows goin and do you still shoot lots of film even though you have a M9?

Good, very good !! I like the atmosphere in your photos, relaxed but not to distant. I think that the couple will be happy to get these photos.

wow, what a fantastic little collection of pics! I love the stye of the weding; very vintage. You've done a great job of capturing it in all it's glory! these shots are a cut above! congratulations mate! I love the look of the film too.

Fantastic job Steve. My favourites are probably the one of the woman with the bouquet and the distant valley background (gorgeous complimentary colours there) and the shot above with the guys hanging out of the train.

Amazing pics :eek:. To shoot weddings using film AND rangefinder :cool:. I think I will try using 400 film and rating it at 200. Will I get the same pastel colors using cheap Fuji Superia 400? :confused:

M4-I-Love, Shooting a wedding with a rangefinder was a lot of fun. Unlike the other photographer who was ladened with gear I was free to move around and get some natural shots because there seems to be a some weird correlation between the size of your camera and your perceived professionalism. As for using film, there is a small movement of wedding photographers who are ditching their digital kits for film because of the ease of workflow. Shoot, send to lab, develop, scan, done...freeing up more time to promote their business.

As for over exposing, I have never tried using superia (im so happy with 400h) but you never know. I have tried this portra and it works so well. The key is yo have the prints printed on the fuji frontier printer on crystal archive paper...wonderful

Back