My first ZI lens

Flow

Established
Local time
8:57 PM
Today my first ZI lens finally arrived (after a long mess up at Purolator). It is the Planar 50mm. I am so happy. I took it out of the box, and I think the lens feels much better than I expected... The focusing is actually super smooth. The 1/3 stop increments on the aperture ring is a bit weird for me. Now I am looking forward to try the lens out this weekend and maybe start to post in the RRF galleries... Hehehehe...

Flowen

I'm waiting for mine from B&H. Does it's rangefinder cam give exact infinity focus without any over or undershoot of the cameras RF patch?

Can't wait to see some pictures guys. I expect the Zeiss optics to be, well, great like Zeiss optics.

awilder said:
I'm waiting for mine from B&H. Does it's rangefinder cam give exact infinity focus without any over or undershoot of the cameras RF patch?

Oh your question got me a bit curious. Because when I just took the lens out of the box I notice when the lens is a bit off at the infinity side. The arrow goes past the infinity marking a little bit. Only like 0.5mm so I don't think it makes any difference because it could just be the CNC process or something. I don't know how they made these lenses in the factory.

I mount it on my MP 0.85 with the 1.25 magnifier and try to focus subjects at infinity. I find that when you turn it barrell all the way it focus on the subject correctly. But that is already past that 0.5mm thing from the center of the infinity mark. Also note my test is not fully accurate because of my eyesight limitations.

I notice when you turn the aperture ring it is a bit of a bumpy ride when compared to my other Leica lenses... It kind of feel like turning the aperture ring when you are shooting in a car driving on a Quebec road....

Flowen

The important thing regarding infinity focus is that the camera's RF patch is infocus at the endpoint of the focusing ring movement even if the distance index triangle is slightly past the center of the infinity symbol. Can I assume by your comments that this is the case? Thanks.

Flowen: Hey, I know that road! :) I drove on some logging roads near Tremblant last summer. Loads of fun.

Trius

I find the "bump" a bit weird. It feels really weird when compared to Leica's focusing tab. I'd prefer the lens if it has a Leica style tab or no "bump" at all. Because it is not really that convienient and my finger always tend to slip off the "bump" whenever I try to focus with it (because it is so round). And when I try not to use it then it just feel like there is a tumor on the focusing ring...

Flowen

I like the bump myself. The whole focusing ring is knurled so you don't need to use the bump if you don't want to. I use it mainly to get a tactile sense of the focus distance. On the 50mm with the bump pointing straight down at the ground the focus distance is just under 1.5m. This is usually where I leave it. The lens has a fairly short focus throw so you can get from 1.5m to 70cm or infinity quickly.

-Dave-

Back