My friend's proposed trade

Didn't we just learn recently (months) that there are NO replacement sensors for the M8 and M9 cameras. (I suspect this created the body inventory for the Monochrome M?????). . .
No, I don't think we did.

I'm with Wintoid: Ask yourself, truthfully, is your final destination likely to be M9 + Noctilux too? If so, you're much closer to your goal with Noctilux and M6 in hand than with M9 and Summilux in hand.

Cheers,

R.

I do not know, if you have already tried digital. Seeing that you have been using film cameras so far, perhaps your encounter with digital could be underwhelming, particularly if you are a B&W conneisseur. I am somewhat of a gear accumulator, and I have only sold the lenses that I definitely did not like. I think that both the Noctilux and DR Summicron will remain unique lenses in their categories- the Noctilux for the bokeh, and the DR for the B&W rendering.
I have a better advice - if you really want the M9 and the pre asph Summilux ( a great lens I like a lot), just write a cheque to your friend and get both without trading in anything. After all you are a lawyer... ;)

speaking as someone that will never be able to afford that lens .... it sure looks good on that M3

I do not know, if you have already tried digital. Seeing that you have been using film cameras so far, perhaps your encounter with digital could be underwhelming, particularly if you are a B&W conneisseur. I am somewhat of a gear accumulator, and I have only sold the lenses that I definitely did not like. I think that both the Noctilux and DR Summicron will remain unique lenses in their categories- the Noctilux for the bokeh, and the DR for the B&W rendering.
I have a better advice - if you really want the M9 and the pre asph Summilux ( a great lens I like a lot), just write a cheque to your friend and get both without trading in anything. After all you are a lawyer... ;)

Yes. I've used the particular M9 at issue here in combination with the nocti. The results are stunning IMHO. See for example:

A mischievous fellow. by MikeScarduzio, on Flickr

The specifics hardly matter. Everyone is everyone. by MikeScarduzio, on Flickr

I would say this....as I did have an E58 for about 2 yrs. When you look at a photo do you say....wow isn't that a great "Noct" image...I just know the only a Noct could have taken that photo?? My guess is NO. Also My E58 was NOS at the time...purchased in back in 2002. It was good but did not blow me away. If you have to tell people or ask people if they know what special expensive lens you shot that with....then that says something.

Now I am not saying your doing that but hanging on to an E58 for some capital gain. Personally I would say your better off taking a new "Lux ASPH" or if you totally in love whit the emotional aspect of a "Noct" then look at how many of your very best images have been shot with the Noct at F/1 ?? If 80% of your best are with the Noct. Then keep it and forget the trade....other wise...I see the modern Sonnar and Lux as better tools as lenses. These are only tools. Best of Luck

Wow BOB... happy to do your legwork for you

Wow BOB... happy to do your legwork for you

Where did you hear that there was a shortage of sensors for either camera? There is no more supply of LCD screens for the M8, but I haven't heard of any other parts being unattainable.

Please provide a source for this claim.

Ain't the Internet just the Schnitzz!!!

Here is one link:

http://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2012/04/leica-m9-sensor-shortage.html

Apparently Kodaks problems and sale of the sensor division may have created a sensor shortage since the 18 Mp sensor in the M9 is Kodak.

BTW... I simply typed sensor shortage M9 in Google and got a bunch of hits.

Try that, and some reading.

By the way, that information has been posted on RFF before. Plus, there are indications that some M9's sent in for repair have actually been replaced by new m9's because at the time of needed repair, that was the only way to get a sensor for an M9... a new one with a good sensor.

Here is one link:

Apparently Kodaks problems and sale of the sensor division may have created a sensor shortage since the 18 Mp sensor in the M9 is Kodak.

By the way, that information has been posted on RFF before. Plus, there are indications that some M9's sent in for repair have actually been replaced by new m9's because at the time of needed repair, that was the only way to get a sensor for an M9... a new one with a good sensor.
"A shortage of sensors" and "no sensors" are a very long way from the same thing. I note too that in the above you say "may have". In other words, you're extrapolating an alarmist possibility from internet gossip, without any hard facts. This is not the same as "We all learned..."

Personally I'd omit the 'c', the 'n' and both 'z's from 'Schnitzz' for quite a lot of 'facts' garnered from the internet.

Cheers,

R.

I would say this....as I did have an E58 for about 2 yrs. When you look at a photo do you say....wow isn't that a great "Noct" image...I just know the only a Noct could have taken that photo?? My guess is NO. Also My E58 was NOS at the time...purchased in back in 2002. It was good but did not blow me away. If you have to tell people or ask people if they know what special expensive lens you shot that with....then that says something.

Now I am not saying your doing that but hanging on to an E58 for some capital gain. Personally I would say your better off taking a new "Lux ASPH" or if you totally in love whit the emotional aspect of a "Noct" then look at how many of your very best images have been shot with the Noct at F/1 ?? If 80% of your best are with the Noct. Then keep it and forget the trade....other wise...I see the modern Sonnar and Lux as better tools as lenses. These are only tools. Best of Luck

If he offered me the ASPH 'lux, I would certainly make the trade. :)

Hmmm, Interesting....

Hmmm, Interesting....

"A shortage of sensors" and "no sensors" are a very long way from the same thing. I note too that in the above you say "may have". In other words, you're extrapolating an alarmist possibility from internet gossip, without any hard facts. This is not the same as "We all learned..."

Personally I'd omit the 'c', the 'n' and both 'z's from 'Schnitzz' for quite a lot of 'facts' garnered from the internet.

Cheers,

R.

Interesting, but picky methinks. Besides, we are only talking camera's here... right?:p

Everything on the internet is true??

Isn't the sensor in the(currently in production) ME the same one in the M9? Aren't people buying those right now?

Here is one link:

It's the latest version of the pre-ASPH 'lux with the built in hood (E46?) -- black chrome, not BP. My friend indicated that it's from 2001.

Here is the Noctilux in question:

Leica M3 + Noctilux f1 E58 by MikeScarduzio, on Flickr

It may be worth 5 grand but it looks as ridiculous on that camera as a 200mm SLR lens on a sony nex. if you like to take photos with it, though, why swap it?

Interesting, but picky methinks. Besides, we are only talking camera's here... right?:p
Not very picky, cf comments on continued ME production... Your statement that 'we'd all learned' was not really supportable, and the link you gave was merely a link to another rumours site. Yes, it's only cameras. But I consider accuracy more important than just cameras.

Cheers,

R.

are you an artist or an investor?

Exactly... make the trade that benefits your photography most. I'm of the opinion that you are getting a superior lens (which isn't worth as much) and a great camera. I'd do the deal unless you are in it for investment purposes only.

It may be worth 5 grand but it looks as ridiculous on that camera as a 200mm SLR lens on a sony nex. if you like to take photos with it, though, why swap it?

I personally think it looks fairly cool on the M3; however, it spends most of its time on my classic M6 .85.

Back