My Kingdom for a Signed, Model Release

Mackinaw

Think Different
Local time
11:35 AM
I love the old Polaroids. I have an SX-70, a Spectra and a 600-series One Step. I use Impossible Project film and am also a film tester for the company. A couple of years back, I was out testing a beta version of their color film (now in production) and took a pic of three 20-year olds in front of a store in a nearby town. It was a pretty good pic that I sent to IP along with my thoughts on the film. Fast forward to yesterday. I get an email from a photo editor at Impossible telling me they want to use my picture on the back of the box for their color film packs. They needed my permission as well as a signed model release for the three people in the picture. Unfortunately, it was a street photography shot of three people I don’t know, and have no way of contacting, so there’s no way I can have them sign a model release. So they can’t use my photo. Bummed, but still happy.

Jim B.

Jim, that's too bad...

Best wait until the depicted aren't sure it's them in your picture anymore (or can hardly be recognised) and only then can it be worth anything commercially, I suppose...

That seems kind of strange. I feel like if it was on a public street, an attempt to get a model release was made but failed, it would still be ok the publish.

Congrats though. Very cool offer

If it is the photo in your gallery, of a guy and two girls posing for the photo, I sort of understand why they are asking for a release. Since they are posing one could say they are "working" for you. Congrats for the offer anyway.

Why not posting the photo on many social networks with a request that they get in touch with you and PDQ ? If you remember where and when the photo (nice by the way, seen it on your Polaroid gallery) was shot, this may be an easier task than what you think. There might very well be a friend of a friend of a friend of one of the three who bumps on that. ;)

Yeah, if they want to use it for advertising, its totally understandable why they'd require a model release.

There is a big difference between a photographer publishing/selling prints of a photo and using someones image to sell a product. If nothing else, it can imply the subjects of the photo endorse the product itself (or at a minimum are okay with their image being associated with the product). IP is doing the right thing here.

That seems kind of strange. I feel like if it was on a public street, an attempt to get a model release was made but failed, it would still be ok the publish.

Congrats though. Very cool offer

I'm disappointed, but they make the rules.

But I really am honored they picked my photo. Here it is:

spectra1.jpg

Jim B.

I love the old Polaroids. I have an SX-70, a Spectra and a 600-series One Step. I use Impossible Project film and am also a film tester for the company. A couple of years back, I was out testing a beta version of their color film (now in production) and took a pic of three 20-year olds in front of a store in a nearby town. It was a pretty good pic that I sent to IP along with my thoughts on the film. Fast forward to yesterday. I get an email from a photo editor at Impossible telling me they want to use my picture on the back of the box for their color film packs. They needed my permission as well as a signed model release for the three people in the picture. Unfortunately, it was a street photography shot of three people I don’t know, and have no way of contacting, so there’s no way I can have them sign a model release. So they can’t use my photo. Bummed, but still happy.

Jim B.

I carry about 5 in my camera bag. Most, always sign for an exchanged print as payment. I file them with my negatives. Get in the habit and be friendly. With instant film or digital, you can show them the photo. With film - film, they have to trust your description of the photo. I use a simple release. But, have their contact info if a more "legal" release is needed. Needing a more legal release usually means money.. and that means a modeling fee paid to the subject. Everyone wins.

http://www.pdnonline.com/business-m...otographer-need-to-know-about-model-releases/

https://ftp.asmp.org/tutorials/simplified-model-release.html#.WQJM72A2yDd

Children need special release forms!!

Back