My M8 has the 35mm 1.2 Nokton attached most of the time now. My observations.

fantastic lens on the M9!

fantastic lens on the M9!

I have been using a CV35/1.2 on my M9 for 4 months now. I love it. I am extremely happy with the results I'm getting. The only reason it does not spend 90% of the time on my camera is the weight. It makes the camera hang down forward and swing around my body a lot more than the other lenses I have that are about half the size and weight. So if I want a minimalist one-lens-one-body setup for a day, I take a 60 year old Jupiter 3 (50mm f/1.5 sonnar) which is far more compact and weighs nothing. I mostly use the CV Nokton when I'm shooting indoors or if I expect to do a lot of shooting and I'm carrying a bag containing the M9 and three lenses - then the 35/1.2 Nokton is always one of those three, and will be the one which is most used.

Flare resistance is amazing. So much so that I actually use the Nokton without a hood so that I can see more in the viewfinder and the overall appearance of the camera looks slightly less bulky.

For the money, you really can't go wrong with the Nokton. I strongly recommend it, with the proviso that you actually go into a shop and check the size and weight for yourself.

Finally, I can't let this post go by without mentioning the bokeh- it is the best I have seen from any lens I have ever used.

I asked Steve Huff about this lens and he was not that impressed with it. he felt it was not as 3D and the color was just ok and shadow areas washed out. For the life of me (and i really appreciate his reviews) i have to say he is dead wrong based on the results I am getting.

My feeling is this is the best lens I have ever bought for my M8, and remember i am comparing this to the Noctilux and Summicron standard.

I do plan on the M9 at some point (I may buy another M8 to keep me going until the M9.2 or M10) so I am wondering who on this forum has used this wonderful jewel of a lens on their M9? What do you think?

I find that I often disagree with Steve Huff's reviews. I dont know much about him, but his reviews, photos and opinions on lenses dont impress me much - there are better web reviewers out there. I'm basing this on same lenses that I used and he reviewed. Therefore I wouldnt rely too much on his reviews, personally.
As far as Nokton 35/1.2 goes - I've said this time and time again - there is no better lens in 35mm FL. From everything I have seem from other 35's, even ASPH 35 Lux by Leica - I still prefer CV 35/1.2's way of drawing. Again - this is personal opinion and YMMV, but I can say this - if you ever considered to try this lens - DO IT! The only thing I regret about the Nokton 35/1.2 is that I didnt get it sooner!

The thing I really like about my summicron is the ergonomics of the lens. I love the tab, and the size of the lens. I've seen pictures of the 35/1.2 and I think the length of the lens would complete irritate me. I've had the 28/1.9 a couple of times now, and both times I couldn't stand the finder blockage.

This lens will damage an M8?! Seriously? I use several lenses that don't reach infinity and haven't had any problems.

This lens will damage an M8?! Seriously? I use several lenses that don't reach infinity and haven't had any problems.

There is a new machined rear piece on the newer ones and the modified ones, I sent mine in, the old piece was returned with the lens. Seems to be a question of relief.

In some of the models, Cosina paid for the repairs, I don't think Rich Pinto and Steve Gandy would have gotten the equipment and parts if there was no possibility of some sort of binding? Maybe I am wrong, I was not willing to experiment.

Some say the DR fits -- sometimes, I could not get it to mount without hitting something.

Regards, John

Focus shift?

Focus shift?

To all of you who have experienced the 35/1.2 on a digital body: Does it exhibit focus shift like the Nokton 35/1.4? I owned the latter when I first got my M8, and switched to a lovely Biogon 35/2 as I couldn't get friends with its focus shift (mind that my copy exhibited quite strong shift - other copys are reported to be fine). Does the Nokton 1.2 exhibit similar focus shift? (For that matter: do ALL fast lenses exhibit focus shift if they are not equipped with floating elements?) I'm kindofa speed freak and find the 35/2 a bit slow at times (I often take pictures in dimly lit environments). I can't afford a second lens right now, and love the Biogon to death - but sometimes I'd just love something faster! :)

To all of you who have experienced the 35/1.2 on a digital body: Does it exhibit focus shift like the Nokton 35/1.4? I owned the latter when I first got my M8, and switched to a lovely Biogon 35/2 as I couldn't get friends with its focus shift (mind that my copy exhibited quite strong shift - other copys are reported to be fine). Does the Nokton 1.2 exhibit similar focus shift? (For that matter: do ALL fast lenses exhibit focus shift if they are not equipped with floating elements?) I'm kindofa speed freak and find the 35/2 a bit slow at times (I often take pictures in dimly lit environments). I can't afford a second lens right now, and love the Biogon to death - but sometimes I'd just love something faster! :)

Well, while I dont have M8/9, I use RD1S and I never noticed anyfocus shift with either CV 35/1.2 or M-Hexanon 50/1.2 on it (or any film bodies for that matter). But I never ran any detailed tests either.

My 35mm 1.2 focus spot on with my M8.2
I feel your pain, sold the 50mm 1.1 nokton because of the focus shift

No detectable focus shift with the Nokton 35/1.2 on the M9.
Disclaimer: I have not tested extensively, I can just say that I have never noticed it in extensive real-world use.

hi JohnTF,if you come back and read this

is that possible to ask you please send me a photo of the piece they sent back to you with your fixed lens?i really would like to see what they did to make it cop with M8.

[email protected]

thank you very very much in advance

Back