My M8 needs repair

It shouldn’t be that expensive to have the sensor remapped by Leica I’m pretty sure I had it done under warranty when I had an m8.

Raid-

I had this with my M9 last year. Wetzlar fixed it for €74.50 plus tax = €88.66 (labour costs only, no parts)

Irritating because the old RD-1 used to be able to re-map its own sensor for free, but not too big as Leica bills go. NJ should apply similar charge I'd have thought

Jim

Raid, no I was right the second time. The images are indeed underexposed but that is very adjustable with Photoshop as long as you're shooting raw. The limited edition of Capture One that shipped with the camera will do the same thing but only works really well to -2. The adjustment does not affect the color or the image quality and gives an effective ISO of 640 for -2 and 1280 for -3 (if my math is correct, and it's early so it may not be spot on). I typically leave mine set that way. The images have much less noise than shooting at either 640 or 1280.

The first Hurricane Gordon sample image is lovely indeed, Raid.

There is also a series of stains on your sensor at the bottom right of it (top left on the photos).

Best of luck with the sensor remapping.

I will mail Leica Camera NJ my M8 to have it checked out and to assess to repair cost. I have seen posted comments on repair cost in such a dead line issue. These costs ranged from "free" to "$75" and reaching "$1500". Should be interesting to see what I amange to get.

I will. I like using my M8, so I am at least giving it a check-up for free. If I let Leica Camera do the reair depends on the cost.

The first Hurricane Gordon sample image is lovely indeed, Raid.

There is also a series of stains on your sensor at the bottom right of it (top left on the photos).

Best of luck with the sensor remapping.

Thanks. Maybe, Leica Camera NJ can give me definite answers next.

My M8 has arrived to Leica Camera NJ! Now I need to wait patiently for their assessment.

"Thank you for your submission to our LEICA Customer Care, the
confirmation of receipt can be found in the attachment.
We will inform you about the results of our incoming inspection shortly."

I have received a repair estimate from Leica Camera NJ. It is $518.
Is it "OK" to go for it, or should I save the money and just live with the dead sensor sector?
The proposed service covers also a few other things, as shown below. Adjusting the RF and adjust the sensor may be useful service.

Error description

adjust sensor
clean sensor
adjust range finder
CCD pixel error
clean, lubrication and adjustment
leather covering
sealing ring,

Sounds like a reasonable price for what is essentially a full service plus repair. If you like the camera, it's less expensive than junking it and buying a comparable replacement.

(I had a Rolleiflex 2.8F serviced recently for a focusing glitch and general CLA. It cost about that same amount of money. So it's certainly not out of line for a repair cost.)

G

I have received a repair estimate from Leica Camera NJ. It is $518.
Is it "OK" to go for it, or should I save the money and just live with the dead sensor sector?
The proposed service covers also a few other things, as shown below. Adjusting the RF and adjust the sensor may be useful service.

Error description

adjust sensor
clean sensor
adjust range finder
CCD pixel error
clean, lubrication and adjustment
leather covering
sealing ring,

Thank you guys. I also had similar thoughts. Since I actually love using this camera for a low ISO relaxing photography experience, it is a good deal. But I wanted to get feedback from people here. I need to send back to Leica a signed form.

OK then. I will go for it. I should get back a fully funvtioning CLA'd M8 whenever they can do the work.

Go for it Raid! I know you love that camera and in this way you'll be able to use it for a long time!
robert

Back