my M9 backfocus at long distances

luuca

Well-known
Local time
6:12 AM
I only discovered it in these days because the problem doesn't shows itself with my summicron 35 (which is almost always mounted on my camera and focus perfectly)

with my summilux 50 v2 and my summicron 90 preasph the camera backfocuses, but not at close distances.

from 3 meters to infinity focus always drops a little behind what says the rangefinder (I have to turn about 1mm the focus ring to obtain perfect focus)

is it possible to fix it? why the problem doesn't affect my summicron 35? because of the wider depth of field?

Last edited:
It can definitely be fixed. My M9 needed close-focus adjustment. I was sure it was the rangefinder because so many lenses had exactly the same front focus, except one which focused good. It turned out that lens was in need of adjustment, because after the rangefinder adjustment all the other lenses focused fine, and that one was then back focusing the same amount. So it's possible once your rangefinder is adjusted your 50 and 90 could be fine, and you'll find the 35 is off.

I'm also having problems with my M8 that was bought used just a month ago.

It is back-focusing starting from 2 meters. at infinity it is fine, but the range in between 2 - infinity isnt focusing properly as shown in the rangefinder.

I'm very pissed now as i thought it was my new 50luxasph lens that i just obtained...tried with my CV 35 1.4 and saw the effect was similar.

Will probably go to a camera expert shop to make sure its not the lens. Do u guys know how much it costs to send bak to leica to service? my M8 is obviously not under anymore warranty :(

my M9 returned!

every lens I own now works perfectly and focus is spot on!

I missed her and my 'lux 50 :p

macchine-1.jpg

Back