My morning of photography, 09/10/2023

Dogman

Mentor
Local time
4:32 AM
Somewhere I read (don't remember where, maybe a comic book...who knows) that a photographer or artist can make an interesting picture out of any subject. Hmm. That's kinda issuing a challenge, I thought. It's been a crappy summer with little to show picture-wise around the Doghouse other than another 2000 photos of the familly dog napping or avoiding the outside heat by enjoying the AC. This morning was happily much cooler so I decided to take the gauntlet that had been tossed and go find a picture of Nothing. I took my Nikon D3, a monster camera that surely has the capability of making excellent photos of Nothing into Something. I dialed in B&W JPEG and popped on a recently acquired Nikkor-H 85mm ƒ/1.8 lens. I owned an 85/1.8 back in my glory days and used it a lot so I was happy to find one in decent shape at a very affordable price last week. Guess I'm replaying my past and hoping to get it right this time.

First off, I sorta stacked the deck by going to a place I've photographed a lot on my block here in Dogtown. But it's also one of those places I've just about photographed out with little left unshot. Started out looking for contrast....

Photo #1 is called "Faucet". A truly original title.

_D3C0009-Edit-2-2.jpg

Well...okay. Gimme a break, it's only my first try. This making a great picture from Nothing is harder that the comic book guy said.

So I decided to give it another try. Here's #2. I'll call this one "Power Pole" to give it some substance and strength in the Art World. Surely a photo like this would become a classic if shown alongside such great art as Richard Prince's "Marlboro Man".

_D3C0020-Edit-2-2.jpg

Well, that's not too bad, ya think? Okay. Never mind. It's Sunday and I should have gone to Sunday School or something but instead I'm bustin' my chops tryin' to entertain you clueless heathens! Read an art book!

Whew...! I was gettin' worked up there.

Here's Number 3. No, that's no the title. It's just Number 3 of 3. The last in the series. Probably more descriptive of my photo attempts than any ot the others presented. I call this one "Sag".

_D3C0034-Edit-2-2.jpg

Happy Sunday. Hope your weekend is going well.

Somewhere I read (don't remember where, maybe a comic book...who knows) that a photographer or artist can make an interesting picture out of any subject.
I always struggled with that. If something becomes familiar, I struggle to see it as a good subject - that is why I don't photograph much when I go back home in Greece. There are some people that are great at spotting a great subject in the mundane routine, it's just that I am not one of them. You did well with your subjects thought.

Somewhere I read (don't remember where, maybe a comic book...who knows) that a photographer or artist can make an interesting picture out of any subject.
I think it's true. This said I'm struggling with this concept in Mississauga, a satellite city of Toronto. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

Last edited:
Somewhere I read (don't remember where, maybe a comic book...who knows) that a photographer or artist can make an interesting picture out of any subject. Hmm. That's kinda issuing a challenge, I thought.

[...]

Happy Sunday. Hope your weekend is going well.

You did well.

Once I told an older co-worker, who had been interested in photography for only a few years, that I could make five good photos anywhere. I proved it by going into a small 8x5' conference room and making five good photos inside it. Lighting and perspective can make mundane objects interesting to look at.

Maybe it's because I lead such a mundane existence I just find mundane things interesting. Or...well, maybe it's because I find mundane things interesting that I lead such a mundane life. 🤪

But, really, I'm more interested in the bland minutia of the everyday than I am in the bombastic moments.

Good results from this theory test.

I'm trying to practice it daily. The real challenge is to get something timeless from it, not only interesting.

I have one picture from HCB in mind. It is nothing but parking lot and it is timeless.

I don’t over think this stuff too much. When I get up in the morning my first concern is what camera and lens combination am I going to use for the day and where am I going to go to take pictures. The rest of the equation just happens as I walk around.

Good photography happens or it doesn't. What’s really important is where am I going to eat lunch? Lunch is important! There’s nothing worse than a bad lunch.

All the best,
Mike

42403449341_6a005e9bfc_c.jpg

If something catches my eye there's a reason...the subject, the lighting, the composition...
Most times its all three...my gut says come back and shoot this...find the right camera and lens to create what you just saw.
Many times I'll shoot my first thought THEN try other angles and framing...only to really like my first thought and first images...mind you after exploring a scene I can find other images but I will go back to those first images...
Case in point this is how I saw this when I walked by...shot what I saw then tried other stuff...I liked this first one.
Image taken ten feet from our front door...

I’m more of an “intuitive” shooter. In the Myers-Briggs world, I am an INFJ.

I shoot by feel - predominantly - and notice, if I really overthink a shot - making sure everything is just right (whatever that means) - I literally end up in a light sweat.

Maybe it's because I lead such a mundane existence I just find mundane things interesting. Or...well, maybe it's because I find mundane things interesting that I lead such a mundane life. 🤪

But, really, I'm more interested in the bland minutia of the everyday than I am in the bombastic moments.
Don't discount that or feel such things are less than worthy.

When I was a kid, I made 127-format photos, without much thought, of everything and now so much later in life I look at those photos and feel those long-gone common scenes and things were wonderful. So, with that in mind, about five years ago I embarked on a project I called "everyday things" or "seen every day" and made photos based on that theme. Even in the short time that's elapsed already, I'm happy I've made those photos.

In my experience, mundane life in Saigon is interesting from a photography point of view because the delimitation between the private and public spheres remains very fluid.
That is an interesting observation that I hadn't noticed. I will have to review all your posted photos now - haha!

Good photography happens or it doesn't. What’s really important is where am I going to eat lunch? Lunch is important! There’s nothing worse than a bad lunch.

That's getting your priorities straight!

If I miss a photo opportunity or screw up somehow, I don't sweat it too much. There's always another picture to take just around the corner. Life is full of opportunities to screw up so I just keep on muddling through.

I have thought it about me a lot of times...

Back