My new A7r and Noctilux f1.0: I AM IN SHOCK!!!! WOW!!!

eleskin

Well-known
Local time
4:15 PM
I own an M8, tested an M9, tested the M240, own an X-Pro 1 and now own a A7r. I have used my Noctilux f1.0 on them all and the A7r is THE BEST camera I have ever used with the Noctilux, period! In fact, it seems my Noctilux has slightly more contrast and sharpness at the focus point than ANY of the other cameras I have tried. I am blown away! I am in sharp focus without any magnification or peaking! My hit and keeper rate has been VASTLY improved with my Noctilux. I do not own an M240, but even if I had one, I would get the A7r just for my Noctilux! It is that good! I have been shooting Leica since 1990 and I feel my feelings are justified! I am VERY happy!!!

as long as you dont have incidence issues, the A7r is the best platform for any lens as far as results go (excepting native F mount on D800e, too).

print quality is not min[lens, sensor], the two work together differently. Zeiss has a great white paper on the subject.

having seen some f1 nocti on a7r shots, I think now that you get results commensurate with price. I really like the lens and wish I could afford one now that A7r exists. maybe in the future.

Yeah...I've been thinkin about getting one of those A7/r cams for my noct f1 as well...
Just using the GH1 right now..and the noct looks great on that ..but it would be nice to have full frame..
How about some pics...

Add one more lens to the wish list (right after the OTUS for my D800e); in the meantime, I guess I have to "make do" with my Zeiss 55/1.8 on my A7R, which IMHO outperforms most native lenses on the D800e (with some notable exceptions, such as the Otus).

the 55/1.8 is CRAZY good if you own an A7 you owe it to yourself to get one.

Yup - totally agree; I took advantage of a bundle that netted me the A7R, the Zeiss 55/1.8 and the big Sony flash, plus some other stuff, and while I'd like to try out some of my legacy lenses on the A7R, I seem to just gravitate toward this lens.

In fact, in the 2-3 weeks that I've owned this rig, I haven't used any other lens on the A7R. LOL. I'm waiting for Zeiss to release a 28/1.8 and 85/1.8 that perform just as well, and I'd be set.

A test shot of my daughter this morning

A test shot of my daughter this morning

Just a test shot with the Noct @ f1.0.

Attachments

• DSC00228.jpg
    DSC00228.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 0
I guess it was not intentional to post a 400x600 pixel JPEG at 31.4 KB to demonstrate the quality of a 36 MP sensor.

Eleskin,

I feel the same way - when I got my A7r and tried my Noct F/1, it was clearly a great match. Most of my other M lenses are not that great - even other 50's. But I agreed the A7r is probably worth getting just for the noct (if you have one).

BTW - what adaptor are you using with it? I have the expensive Voigtlander and I am not that happy with it....

hmm. wonder how it would be with the voigtlander 50, 1.1.
13429343404_b044e426f3_b.jpg

here ya go mate...50mm 1.1 wide open on the A7

Guess it's a matter of taste. I like my oof areas to be smooth. The foreground blur is actually better than the background with that lens, to me anyway. The front of the shopping cart looks good.

Back