Nicca / Tower LTM My Nicca 3-S Test Roll Images

Nicca / Tower M39 screw mount bodies
I've been looking into getting a IIIf, but have had to put off all photo gear purchases. Seemed like everything I owned broke in December (and almost me, too) so I spent all my cash replacing things. I do have a Zorki-1e for when I get the urge.

Hope the missus is doing better now.

PF
All the cameras that you have.:eek: Yea I’ve had several slr’s to crap out on me. My Ae-1 program that I had the squeal fixed died. The electronics went bad & caused the mirror to lock up. but it so happened that my son found an ae-1 program at a flea mkt. that looks almost new & so far no canon squeal. The T 50 you gave me the battery door fell off. My Pentax died but I didn’t like that camera too much, too heavy. I have a T70 & a AV-1 that I like to shoot. But as for buying anything new, I’m kinda done. I want a Leica but right now it’s just a dream. Besides I can’t make up my mind which one.:D

All the cameras that you have.:eek: Yea I’ve had several slr’s to crap out on me. My Ae-1 program that I had the squeal fixed died. The electronics went bad & caused the mirror to lock up. but it so happened that my son found an ae-1 program at a flea mkt. that looks almost new & so far no canon squeal. The T 50 you gave me the battery door fell off. My Pentax died but I didn’t like that camera too much, too heavy. I have a T70 & a AV-1 that I like to shoot. But as for buying anything new, I’m kinda done. I want a Leica but right now it’s just a dream. Besides I can’t make up my mind which one.:D

Oh. I didn't break any cameras in December. It was the bathroom plumbing, coolant system in the truck, smart phone dying, computer hard drive failing, and even the kitchen timer. I also fell on my right hip which left a big old bulls-eye bruise and me limping for three weeks. Throw in an IRS audit, and it was not a fun month.

The T70 was my favorite of that series. As for what to look for in a Leica (I take it you are interested in the M system), you need to figure out what focal lengths you'll be using, and select the model most conducive to those lenses. If you limit yourself to a 35-50-90 combo, then the M2 is the best. M4-P introduced the 28-35-50-75-90-135 frameline finder. With the M5 you get a meter, though it was improved in the M6 Classic. The M6 TTL introduced TTL Flash control, and the M7 electronic controls.

M3 is the original, but only has frame lines for 50-90. The 35 frame was first implemented on the M2. The M4 was the last of the original designs with the very precise construction favored by a lot of folks. The M4-2 brought the new design philosophy of ease of construction, and simply replacing worn parts instead of readjusting everything. You could also get the compact CL or CLE, which are supposedly limited in focus reliability (according to Leica, but everyone else just ignores that).

That's the short take. There are also the available .58x, .68x, .72x, .85x, and .91x viewfinders on certain models to take into consideration.

Just a little something to think about. :D

PF

Wow 4 years since the last post. Felt great to go back & read the thread. I have the Nicca out & cleaned the dust off. Cleaned up the 48 elmar 50/3.5 that lives on it. Ran through the speeds & looks good. Thinking of loading some Kentmere 400 since winter is almost officially here.

I own a Nicca and replaced the curtains as part of my "CLA". It works but it has not been used with film recently. All the speeds are fine and the slow speeds operate just right. Every once in a while I take it out for an exercise of the shutter and wonder if it is time to let someone else have it. The current lens is a Tokyo Optical 50 collapsible. The Canon L1 and Leotax are all part of a group I overhauled but my time is spent on other things now. The Canon 7sz is likewise on the list I have CLA'ed but just sit in the drawer. Right now I have a Contax I, last iteration, loaded with film, Kodak 200, which I am using to test different lenses, like the 35 Biometar and Jupiter 12 for comparison.

Back