My Nikon ZF arrived !

On a side note.

The m to z adapter is amazing with the voigtlander lenses.

I did just buy the nikon 1.8 z lens. It will be my only af lens for now.

F... With 110k images in literally two seconds I can see every image from a specific camera, or lens, or ISO, or aperture, or date, or shutter speed, or key words, or GPS location (if the camera has that) and many others as well as any combination of the above.

Wow...

No disrespect is intended or meant to you in any way by my response, but if I correctly understood the meaning of this, to my thinking the logic of this statement is - sheer madness.

Am assuming (= hoping) you wrote it with a theoretical meaning.

Or you will be post-processing images until you drop - in a very short time. o_O

Last edited:
On a side note.

Agree. Ideally minimalist. The way to go.

I too will be doing the same, at such time as my savings are up to the level that I can afford to buy a Zf. Either with a '28/2.8 or a /35/2.0, both D lenses from my "arsenal" of Nikkors already in my photo cabinet.

The WAs have the added advantage that I can use scale focusing for most of my photography Unlike my longer lenses ('851.8, '180/2.8, '300/4.5) which require much more precise focusing, for which my eyesight is no longer what it was...

Wow...

No disrespect is intended or meant to you in any way by my response, but if I correctly understood the meaning of this, to my thinking the logic of this statement is - sheer madness.

Or you will be post-processing images until you drop - in a very short time. o_O
I don’t doubt his statement at all. When I shut down my commercial studio and retired 2 years ago I trashed 8,000 CD’s and DVD’s as well as deleted the images on multiple 1T drives. No idea how many images total.

I transitioned my studio and clients to digital in 2000 so I had 21 years of work. Unfortunately when I went digital storage was super expensive and slow so I archived on discs for quite a few years. When storage got cheap it just wasn’t practical to transfer my images to a server. Also I knew I was retiring soon plus in the advertising world that I worked in images were rarely used more than one cycle of a campaign.

Had storage been cheap and I had needed to access images regularly Lightroom or Bridge would have been perfect. So yes it’s possible he has that many images.

Wow...

20 years of digital images. All processed non-destructive. I was simply pointing out how much easier it is to catalog digital images and to retrieve them later. The data to search by is automatically embedded in the files by the camera other than keywords that I add on import.

I worked many weddings on film. Spent dramatically more time putting a letter on each roll and then using those with frame numbers to label proofs.

Cataloging isn’t a subtle difference.

On a side note.

How is the FZ sensor when using short flange distance lenses like Ms? Any edge coloration or other artifacts that need correcting in post?

The cool thing about the Zf with adapted manual focus lenses, it can detect faces in manual focus just as easily as in autofocus. You can then magnify the face and eye directly to achieve critical focus.

The cool thing about the Zf with adapted manual focus lenses, it can detect faces in manual focus just as easily as in autofocus. You can then magnify the face and eye directly to achieve critical focus.
The feature that sounds really slick on the ZF is apparently you can change the focus position and the focus indicator box will change colors when the area inside of the box is in focus and that is supposed to work with adapted lenses too. If it works that is a great feature and due to the phase detect on sensor.

The flip side is it would be great if the ZF had an even higher resolution EVF. I find that on my S1R I don't really need to use the focus aids with its EVF. The latest Sony's have even larger viewfinders (0.9x I think) and even higher resolution.

20 years of digital images. All processed non-destructive. I was simply pointing out how much easier it is to catalog digital images and to retrieve them later. The data to search by is automatically embedded in the files by the camera other than keywords that I add on import.

I worked many weddings on film. Spent dramatically more time putting a letter on each roll and then using those with frame numbers to label proofs.

Cataloging isn’t a subtle difference.

Many thanks for clearing up the obvious confusion. Agree entirely with everything in this post.

After 15 years of digital photography, I still find myself wishing I could somehow miraculously reclaim all the money I spent on film and processing. I would be a rich man...

After 15 years of digital photography, I still find myself wishing I could somehow miraculously reclaim all the money I spent on film and processing. I would be a rich man...

The time . . . I spent thousands of hours in my teens and twenties in darkrooms. In 1997-8 alone I spent eight hours a working day and at least two nights a week in darkrooms. Probably 2700 hours. I now mostly think it was egregiously misspent. I could have been a contender!

Last edited:
To (mis)quote Shkespeare, "methinks great emindes doth thinketh alike"... You wrote what I was thinking when I wrote my last post.

Scanning is far from my favorite 'sport' but I see it as a blessing that it has taken me away from the tyranny of the darkroom.

No more endless hours spent cutting up 8x10 sheets of enlarging paper, huddling over a tray of PQ Universal and shaking a new print, and especially so sniffing the horrible odors of traditional fixer. Let us not go into the horrors of sepia toning.

Not even a glass or two of good Coonawarra or Pyrenees red wine enjoyed half way thru a printing session could ever made up for all those lost hours.

In a word - bliss!

View attachment 4831449

I think I love this more than my m11.

I’m not surprised. How is the view? 0.8 magnification is good; but how is the perception of the subject with a ~3.7mp viewfinder?

I wish Leica would make an M like a full-frame version of the CL but with M mount and a 10mp viewfinder and the same size as the M10/11. A Monochrom version of that would be my last camera.

Marty

The time . . . I spent thousands of hours in my teens and twenties in darkrooms. In 1997-8 alone I spent eight hours a working day and at least two nights a week in darkrooms. Probably 2700 hours. I now mostly think it was egregiously misspent. I could have been a contender!
I guess everyone is different. I treasure the years I spent in the darkroom. It was a time of peace and creativity.

Best,
-Tim

On a side note.

Seems like the only retro style AF lens is the 40, right? Do you know if the roadmap has more planned?

John

I guess everyone is different. I treasure the years I spent in the darkroom. It was a time of peace and creativity.

Best,
-Tim
Even if I have no interest in going back to the darkroom, I am so happy I learned to print in both B&W and color in the darkroom. At the time, it was just what you did if you wanted to print. I do not consider it a waste at all. Ultimately, everything you do in photography helps you see better.

Back