My Slides from the 90's

p.giannakis

Pan Giannakis
Local time
1:59 PM
Last weekend, whilst trying to sort out the attic, I came across my beloved camera bag. That bag was a love at first sight and Santa's gift back in 1993.
Much to my surprise, it contained 12 boxes full of slides from the 90s. Obviously I must have brought them to the UK at some point but I completely forgot about it.

IMG_20231029_130413_(623_x_700_pixel).jpg

The period I shot (mostly) slides spans from 1991 when I bought my first camera and around 2000 when I went to attend my national service. After that I never went back to slides.

Now i am thinking of starting to start scanning them and posting them here. As far as i can remember, with a very few exceptions, most of them are taken on Kodak Ektachrome 100 but there are a few taken with Velvia 50 and Sensia 100.

I hope you enjoy them.

ScanImage560.jpg

ScanImage572.jpg

ScanImage573.jpg

ScanImage565.jpg

And a picture of me at the age of 19, in the mid 90's. Notice the bag i am carrying :giggle:

ScanImage566.jpg

Corfu - 1995

ScanImage583.jpg

My parents together with my uncle and my grandmother in 1994. Unfortunately all of them have passed away.
We used to spend our summers in those wooden huts. The grown ups were sleeping on beds outside, under the trees. Those wooden huts are about 20m away from the sea, in winter they had to empty them as the waves would go inside during storms.

ScanImage581.jpg

Wonderful. Especially the one of your parents and grandparents. And the story. It’s not so long ago, and yet it is long ago now. The framing is as if it were intended for this story a generation later.
You are right, not so long ago in time but loads have changed in terms of way of living and prioritiesin life.

Wonderful. Especially the one of your parents and grandparents. And the story. It’s not so long ago, and yet it is long ago now. The framing is as if it were intended for this story a generation later.
I can only echo this.. what you've found is an absolute treasure trove..

Also goes to show the permanence of tangible output like slides or prints. Put them in a shoebox and dig them up years or decades later, and you can have all these memories come back. It makes one feel a bit sad thinking of all the digital images that will be lost when the media that they're stored on start to fail, or are so out of date that they can't be read anymore..

I remember there was someone else who kept the best for last. That column and the wagon is terrific. Great preservation of the colour there.
Thank you Richard, I quite enjoy going through these, there are a lot of memories attached to these slides. The wagon image is slightly later -late 90s- taken on Velvia.

I can only echo this.. what you've found is an absolute treasure trove..

Also goes to show the permanence of tangible output like slides or prints. Put them in a shoebox and dig them up years or decades later, and you can have all these memories come back. It makes one feel a bit sad thinking of all the digital images that will be lost when the media that they're stored on start to fail, or are so out of date that they can't be read anymore..
I was aware of these slides but thought that I only had a handful of them here in UK. I am looking forward to bring the rest of them during Christmas - an old estimate I have in my mind is that i took around 1500 slides back then. Not all interesting and some of them it's me hanging out with my friends but I like the idea of rediscovering them.

Back