Mystery leica part?

If I had to guess, I’d say it was and aftermarket rewind accessory that fits over a Barnack rewind knob. Do you have a Barnack camera to see if it fits?

Actually how do we know it’s even for a Leica?

That's what I thought and tried, it does not go over a barnack rewind, but it is near the same size, perhaps it is for a leica clone. I bought it from a collection of leica parts, all identifiable except this.

I think it is a movie camera backwind lever/handle. It looks vaguely familiar but I can't be any more specific.

The way the round part is cut on the bottom makes me believe that if you were to remove it from the whole, the round part will spread out enough to fit on something real close in diameter...if you can remove it and it's tapered then I could be heading in the right direction...the knurled round part on top should be threaded to pull the bottom part up...
Does that make sense...???
Basically a tapered bushing...

If I had to guess, I’d say it was and aftermarket rewind accessory that fits over a Barnack rewind knob. Do you have a Barnack camera to see if it fits?

Actually how do we know it’s even for a Leica?
I think the walls are too thick to allow it to fit between the rewind knob and the rangefinder cover. Probably the seller didn't know what it was either, but tossed it in hoping it might be of some use to someone.

Well, it's too small to be the crank for a meatgrinder. That knurly knob on the top must have some function, what happens if you turn it around?

Could be a crank to an old ciné splicer or moviola.

Last edited:
Not Leica. If it were, it would exist in the Laney collectors guide and have a part number, like SHMOOZ or some such. 😆

Could be a crank to an old ciné splicer or moviola.
As I suggested. The machining/knurling is not up to Leitz standards. Just another bit of unnamed photographic detritus that someone somewhere will identify and indeed might actually need.

Back