Mystery S/N for early chrome 35mm Summilux-M

abstrack

Local time
12:51 PM
An early chrome version of the 35mm Summilux-M lens has a serial number of 1730321.
This lens is the non-goggled version.

The 2nd edition of the Hove Photo's Leica Pocket book shows a date of 1961.
Leica (online) Forum Wiki shows a date of 1960.

Erwin Puts's Pocket Pod1 instead lists this serial number belongs to the 50mm Summilux family, but also from 1960.

I have James Lager's Leica camera book, Vol 1 (but not the lens book, Vol 2).

I understand that not all sources will agree but is there any other source that you can point me to that shows more accurate information for the 35mmm Summilux-M?

Thanks for any info you may have!

The earliest Summilux 35mm f1.4 steel rim in my files is 1730015. It is a model without the goggles. I think the earliest number of the batch is 1730001 (1960). The highest number of this group in my files is 1785614. After this one there is a gap of a few years; the next group starts at about 2060541 (1964), also without the goggles. I'm pretty sure that the optical quality of this second group is improved.

This lens is not called Summilux-M, only "Summilux". Collectors call them "steel rims". I think the name "Summilux-M" is used for the German version of the lens, many years later. The steel rims are Canadese.

Erik.

The lens in question is indeed a steel rim Canadian made model. One concern was that the entry for this lens's S/N in Puts's Pocket Pod would make it a 50mm Summilux, which didn't seem correct. Here is a photo of the lens as seen from the front, with a 41mm Summarit-labeled filter attached.

Thanks for the detailed info, Erik!

-abstrack

Attachments

• photo111745.jpg
    photo111745.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 0
It is a great lens, collectible and pricey. Puts publications are unreliable. For lens numbers etc. Rogliatti is better.

Your lens looks very nice; the front lens coating is very soft. Usually these lenses are badly scratched. I have an early one too (1777XXX), my favorite 35.

Erik.

Back