Naked: Shooting without filters

Bruce,

remembering how my bike rusted when I took it though Utah,
I can well recommend you to use them. Good B+W MRC filters will
hardly degrade the lens performance and protect your front element
from salt.

Try one for a day. See how dirty it gets.

I live close to the ocean and filters are a must for me.

Roland.

ferider said:
Bruce,

remembering how my bike rusted when I took it though Utah,
I can well recommend you to use them. Good B+W MRC filters will
hardly degrade the lens performance and protect your front element
from salt.

Try one for a day. See how dirty it gets.

I live close to the ocean and filters are a must for me.

Roland.

Thanks for the advice, Roland. If time permitted, I would pick up the recommended filters. As it is, however, I must depart with only 1 filter for 3 lenses. Fortunately all are 39's, so I can have protection for any one as needed.

One obstacle was removing the hoods of the CV 28/3.5 and the 35/2.5C. I followed someone's advice (found by searching this site), to try a rubber-band or mouse-pad type material to help remove the hoods that wouldn't budge. What I found was a product called "dashboard sticky mat," designed to sit on the dash board of your car and keep items like sunglasses or cell phone from sliding off. Anyway, when pressed evenly over the front of the hoods, they came right off! so now it will be easy and quick enough for me to make that one filter do the job till I next get home.

Until then, B_ruce

I managed a camera store in the 70's. Any of my sales people that sold a camera without a filter had to give me a reason why in writting. We made more money selling a couple of filters than a camera. Our import 52mm UV cost less the 1.50 and a Hoya 2.50. When your selling a Nikon, Canon, or Minolta on a newspaper ad you genarally had less than 10.00 profit. Selling the filters was a must. I would never use one, but recommend them highly.

B_ruce said:
Thanks for the advice, Roland. If time permitted, I would pick up the recommended filters. As it is, however, I must depart with only 1 filter for 3 lenses. Fortunately all are 39's, so I can have protection for any one as needed.

One obstacle was removing the hoods of the CV 28/3.5 and the 35/2.5C. I followed someone's advice (found by searching this site), to try a rubber-band or mouse-pad type material to help remove the hoods that wouldn't budge. What I found was a product called "dashboard sticky mat," designed to sit on the dash board of your car and keep items like sunglasses or cell phone from sliding off. Anyway, when pressed evenly over the front of the hoods, they came right off! so now it will be easy and quick enough for me to make that one filter do the job till I next get home.

Until then, B_ruce

Hi Bruce,

one little trick to remove the hoods on the Color Skopars is to remove them
with the lens cap on. No clue why, but for some reason this goes much easier.

Best,

Roland.

Back