NASA Leica

Local time
5:48 AM
So I was reading Roger and Frances's book last night and came across the NASA M4, with the huge shutter speed and rewind knobs and softie-like shutter release. I was surprised to see that the lens, with its custom enormous tabbed rings, appears to be a Noctilux.

Roger, do you know more about this camera and lens that isn't in the book? Did Leica make a lot of these for NASA? And were they actually used on space missions?

This one, I mean...

leica-nasa.jpg

Famous Lost Cameras

Famous Lost Cameras

During the Gemini 10 mission in July 1966, Air Force Major Michael Collins lost a modified SWC Hasselblad with a Zeiss Biogon f.4,5/38 mm. This Hasselblad should be now circling Earth at 28000 Km/hour – and the film left inside is certainly kept refrigerated.
This is one more addition to the list of Famous Lost Cameras - I remember also the Vest-Pocket Kodak lost by George Mallory in his attempt to climb the Everest. If any RFF member is climbing the Everest and finds this one, here is how to handle it
http://www.velocitypress.com/mallory_irvine.shtml#A127_Film
Regards
Joao

I think that Hasselblad used special thin based 70mm film to get more exposures per load. The 35mm cameras probably used thin base film also. Ilford briefly sold 72 exposure cassettes of thin base 35mm but they required special developing reels, and a lot of amateurs already thought that 36 is too many pictures on a roll.

During the Gemini 10 mission in July 1966, Air Force Major Michael Collins lost a modified SWC Hasselblad with a Zeiss Biogon f.4,5/38 mm. This Hasselblad should be now circling Earth at 28000 Km/hour – and the film left inside is certainly kept refrigerated.

I am going to take a SWAG and say that the radiation that film has been exposed to has done in the film by now. Probably the lens, too.

However, it would certainly be fun to get back for a museum or something like that.

However, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._A._Andrée's_Arctic_balloon_expedition_of_1897

"Eagle".crashed3.png

S. A. Andrée and Knut Frænkel with the crashed balloon on the pack ice, photographed by the third expedition member, Nils Strindberg. The exposed film for this photograph and others from the failed 1897 expedition was recovered in 1930.

Back