Need help with Epson 3800

PeterAM

Local time
10:00 PM
I have an Epson 3800 that has worked very well over the years – no issues worse than the occasional head cleaning, even after sitting for a few months. I recently printed on several sheets of Epson Radiant White Watercolor, using the rear feed for the first time. Those prints were fine, but the next time I started up the printer and tried, the paper advanced to the point where an inch or two would print and the printer would stop. The power light starts blinking and there is no error message.
I switched to the sheet feed and tried printing on some matte paper of various sizes. Same thing – paper advances, prints a bit and then stops – no error message. Everything is set properly in the driver – paper type, size, etc. All of the cartridges have ink in them. I’ve tried playing around with the “paper check” setting and the platen gap and even used several different printing programs – no luck.
It sorta looks like each sheet stops at the same point, regardless of size. Could something have gotten stuck in there? No error message indicating a paper jam and the paper comes out by itself when the machine is shut down.
I realize that this machine is several generations old but it has, until now, worked fine and produced good prints. I’d like to keep it going as long as possible and am hoping that the problem is something that can easily be fixed – like “pilot error”. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

After 10 years of moderate use, a few thousand prints, my 3800 is starting to act up too. Your problem is probably somewhere in the settings, which I understand you've already checked, but do it again. And of course, a restart or two. It just might be time for both of us to get new printers?

I have always been very happy with my 3800. I see this in the manual:

"Problem: The printer stops printing unexpectedly.
Solution: If the power light is flashing, the printer is performing a maintenance procedure or waiting for ink to dry. Check the display message and lights on the control panel. Wait until the power light stops flashing."

So your problem may be solved by just giving the printer time. Also, when diagnosing problems, Epson recommends disconnecting the usb cable from the printer or computer and running a nozzle check to determine if the problem is caused by the printer.

Good luck

Got it going again by vacuuming out every spot that I could get at. I think maybe some crud from the WC paper screwed up a sensor. Working now via the sheet feeder - will take off & clean the rear feed and try again. Very happy not to have to give up on this machine, especially as I have extra ink carts on hand.

Back