Need repair recommendation for Bronica S2

thambar

Shouldn't it be sharper?
Local time
12:34 PM
Have a Bronica S2 which I love. However, the focus on the groundglass differs from that on the film (from what I've heard, a not-uncommon problem). The camera likely could use a CLA, as it's been decades since it saw the inside of a repair shop). So 've my longtime repair wizard hung up his screwdrivers, can someone recommend a good person I'm North America for the job? Thanks, Jim

This is indeed very common in the S2 and S2a. It is often blamed on the foam above the focusing screen deteriorating, and allowing a pair of leaf springs below the screen to lift the screen up off of its rails. However, I've encountered cameras that retained the problem after that possibility had been eliminated.

I believe a more likely cause is the fact that the mirror is attached to its metal base with foam tape, which also deteriorates with age - in this case allowing the mirror to settle downwards from its intended position. This creates a magnified error, because the mirror is now more distant both from the lens in front and from the screen above, so that the error is greater than the amount of displacement of the mirror.

I don't have enough experience with these to prove a positive cause and cure, but I do have enough experience to think that the mirror attachment is the main issue.

Any other suggestions for repair professionals? Unfortunately, Steve's Camera does not repair Bronica S2s, and I didn't receive a call back from Frank Marshman (though I loved his voice mail message!) I'd love to take up Rick Oleson's suggestion, but I'm far too klutzy to execute that move accurately. Thanks.

If you don't mind shipping it across the country, Advance Camera Repair in Raleigh Hills, Oregon are very competent. They have several technicians and work on a variety of cameras. PM if you would like more information.

Would anyone have a good source for repairing a Hasselblad 1000F body?
I think that the rear curtain has fallen off th rail.

ALSO I would need some to do a CLA of a Kodak Medalist II.

Having some difficulty with a repairmen to do both cameras.
may be I might have to send it separately?

Thanks in advance,

Evan

Back