Need some thoughts

BillBingham2

Local time
12:58 AM
OK, so I returned the cute little X-E2 at the beginning of the year as it's internal battery was DOA here in Iowa.

It's getting close to fathers day and I'm thinking of getting some Fuji glass to go along with an X body. While cash flow is getting better, gotta dig out of a hole so nothing new is in the cards.

While I liked the X-E2 I'm looking at prices and wondering about a X-Pro1 as they are only a few dollars more. I know I have to get a diopter as adjustment is not built in but they are inexpensive.

There's also the X-70 which has that wonderful little lens that doesn't extend (or suck in dust). Right size, but not interchangeable, fine for me but not great for my wife.

Then a new player emerges on the field the X-T100. No X-Trans, great finder, and no shutter speed dial in the traditional place. The price with kit lens is great.

I do street/event/people photography with the occasional dog shots.

Thoughts from you Fuji-X-Aholocs?

Thanks.

B2 (;->

The XT100 sounds neat. I wouldn't mind trying one to see the difference between the Bayer and the XTrans sensors. The X70 was on my radar for a time but I ended up with a Ricoh GRII instead, which I like a lot although it's a dust-sucker. Don't forget about a used X100 series, really great cameras but still expensive for the later models.

For your purposes the XT100 might be perfect. I was going to recommend a used XPro1 (I love this camera!) until I saw that you do "dog shots". As much as I love my XPro1 cameras, I have to admit they ain't gonna ever be classified as action cameras and my dog is all about action. If yours or the dogs you photograph are like that, you probably would do better with a used XT1. It's not a perfect action camera either but, with the right lens and updated firmware, it's better than the XP1 in this regard. It's a bit more expensive used than an XP1 but it was cheap enough a few months ago for me to buy one--geez, I need to get rid of some stuff!

The X-T100 would be more responsive than the X-Pro 1. The main difference would be AF performance. X-T100 sensor could be better in terms of S/N and dynamic range. The X-T100 also has additional features such as WiFi/Bluetooth, FUJIFILM film simulation rendering and a touch screen.

I like using a RF style OVF so I'd buy the X-Pro 1.(1)

For the projects you mention, I would start with either the Fujinon XF 35mm or 23 f/2 R WR primes. But I have always preferred small lenses with my X-Series bodies. However, the kit lens OIS is useful for static subjects.

1. Yes, I know the FUJIFILM OVFs use reverse Gaussian optics and are not actually RF cameras. But you can still compose viewing what's outside the frame lines.

Back