New 35mm Pano Camera Kickstarter

BWF

Established
Local time
5:50 AM
Probably not up everyone's alley, but there is a new Kickstarter for a 3D-printed panorama camera. The image size will be X-Pan dimensions, not masked. I will not do the project justice by summarizing it all here, but you get to build it yourself which will certainly appeal to many and makes it very affordable. The cost could be a few hundred dollars, even with the lens.

The link to the Kickstarter is here. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/416154634/the-cameradactyl-brancopan/?ref=kicktraq

There is further explanation here:

https://www.35mmc.com/17/12/2019/cameradactyl-brancopan/

And here:

https://emulsive.org/articles/the-cameradactyl-brancopan-a-35mm-panoramic-camera-you-can-print-at-home

I love these guys, I've bought about five of their buttergrips.
This bit is excellent, wish I paid attention to this before I threw cash at the Reflex kickstarter campaign..

Risks and challenges

Generally when people put a project on kickstarter, it is to raise funds for a project that they would like to complete. I have completed the Cameradactyl Brancopan. it exists, the files exist, it works. There is 0 chance that the camera wont ever see the light of day. that part is risk free. There is some risk that I will make completely boring youtube videos that you will have to sit through and play back a few times in order to be able to properly assemble your camera. There is some risk that it will take me a few more weeks than expected to put the videos together in a less boring fashion. There is even an extremely small risk that you will find my youtube videos incredibly charming and fall in love with me, but I think that these youtube related risks are negligible.

I love these guys, I've bought about five of their buttergrips.
This bit is excellent, wish I paid attention to this before I threw cash at the Reflex kickstarter campaign..

Risks and challenges

Generally when people put a project on kickstarter, it is to raise funds for a project that they would like to complete. I have completed the Cameradactyl Brancopan. it exists, the files exist, it works. There is 0 chance that the camera wont ever see the light of day. that part is risk free. There is some risk that I will make completely boring youtube videos that you will have to sit through and play back a few times in order to be able to properly assemble your camera. There is some risk that it will take me a few more weeks than expected to put the videos together in a less boring fashion. There is even an extremely small risk that you will find my youtube videos incredibly charming and fall in love with me, but I think that these youtube related risks are negligible.

I bought a Homonculus from him. It is very solid and I like using it. The photos are great with the Mamiya 50mm/6.3 press lens.

The Risks and Challenges are hilarious. Having seen a few of his videos, I agree the risk of boring videos is negligible. :D

Reading just the title was about to make a fool of myself (yet again) by making a snarky comment along the lines of ‘Kickstarter! Bah, nuff said’.
Then I clicked on the link and saw who the creator was and the proposal and backer amounts. Although I’d swore off another KS campaign and know absolutely nuttin about 3D printing.....this could change my mind.

Reading just the title was about to make a fool of myself (yet again) by making a snarky comment along the lines of ‘Kickstarter! Bah, nuff said’.
Then I clicked on the link and saw who the creator was and the proposal and backer amounts. Although I’d swore off another KS campaign and know absolutely nuttin about 3D printing.....this could change my mind.

Yes, it seems low risk compared to many other KS campaigns. Just on principle of supporting someone who is making new cameras and gear, it seems worth it. The fact that the Brancopan does not just use the film transport from another camera system is an achievement.

For anyone worried about building it, I think the assembly instructions will be very good. I built the laser shutter tester that he talked about in this article and it was very easy, even for someone with no experience with that stuff like me. Also, 3D printers are more accessible than most people think (libraries, makerspaces, etc).

Back