New and improved Noctilux

newyorkone

Established
Local time
8:29 AM
No, there's not really a new Noctilux but I was thinking about how the current noctilux might behave on the new M8. Here are some of the improvements that I can think of:

1. The noctilux min. focusing distance is a little far for my taste. But now with the crop you are essentially getting a tighter "portrait" look.

2. Reviewing images will help a lot with those missed focus shots. This is one lens where instant review will help greatly in learning how to shoot with this lens because from what I've read this lens is not for the faint of heart. With film, by the time you get your pictures back there's no way to remember what you did right or wrong.

3. Increased shutter speeds to deal with how fast this lens is.

I feel a 75/Summilux in my future with the new M8. 75 is the new 90! The Nocti is going to be more fun on the M8!

I would like to see a new Noctilux ASPH soon.
I think it would be possible, from a technical point of view. Keeping the size of the lens untouched, the modern designs based on aespheric lenses would allow for much improved performance. Something near the Summicron 50 from f/2 and much sharper, contrastier and flat images at f/1.4 y f/1.

The actual Noctilux was a great desing 30 years ago, but it is not at the actual standards of the new ASPH lenses. See the 50/1.4 ASPH...

If you can zoom to the pixel level, you'll be able to judge focus as accurrately as on your computer screen. Usually a little time consuming to "chimp" for focus accuracy, but doable on most digital cameras. Works on my STD.

robbegibson said:
Unprocessed pictures from cameras without low pass filters (the DMR and M8 and most MFDB's) aren't that soft.

Robbe Gibson

Right.

Sean

jaapv said:
Most digital camera's allow you to zoom in to 16x. that is ample to judge exact focus. I doubt that the M8 will be different.

The M8 review picture scrolls to 100% file size.

Cheers,

Sean

Back