New At Photokina 2012: ADOX SILVERMAX

ADOX SILVERMAX ... the M-M killer ! :D:angel:

Glad to hear that there will be a new emulsion ! :)

You don't need extra zones to print silver gelatin.

The extra dynamic range captured by the negative can be brought out in the print by dodging and burning. Several existing films, like Kodak Tmax 100 and 400 can capture 14 zones easily, but it does take some work in the darkroom (or photoshop if you scan) to bring that full range onto the print.

You don't need extra zones to print silver gelatin.

Lots of us here (myself excluded) scan film and never see a negative placed in an enlarger. This is coated on a clear base, and ADOX mentions processing it as a slide.

I'd agree with Chris, it will make a difference. More info on a negative means the potential for more info in the print- if one can manage to get it delivered to the paper. That's not everyone who prints by a long shot. :rolleyes:

Absent any advice yet from Adox, what does one soup this in? Perhaps Rodinal? :)

Good on 'em for introducing this. Damn shame it won't be in 120 as well, but we can't have everything.

--Dave

There is a dedicated Silvermax developer for souping this film. I'm not a fan of dedicated developers, myself, so I plan to test it in Rodinal and HC-110 for starters, then Pyrocat HD, as these are the developers that I routinely use.

My guess given a clear base and the references to reversal processing is that this is some intermediate step towards re-engineering Scala - which is not quite all there yet (or for which they haven't yet been able to create a companion process as good as the one Agfa had for Scala reversal), hence it is marketed as a predominantly negative rather than reversal film.

Oh, I was hoping that it would be a sort of Adox Verichrome-Pan, or Neopan-SS. My next materials order will include a few rolls too!

Apparently sold out already from the Adox FB page. I've got ten rolls enroute via DHL, never quick, never cheap, but they do eventually make it.

Freestyle Reply:

"Hi Gary

Thank you for your e-mail. Our executives have been at Photokina last &
this week. They will be returning within the next couple of days. I know
the Adox Silvermax & silvermax developer was on their agenda. We won't
have any information until next week when they all return.

Stay tuned.

Thank you.

Marv Keller
Manager,
Customer Service & Consumer Direct Sales"

Fast reply and to the point. Always, a good company to work with.

Insh'Allah. But George (the editor) is not all that keen on silver halide.

Cheers,

R.

Perhaps George needs to be aware the only time I purchase a copy of the magazine is when you write an article for traditional photography. This is sad news. I guess it has to do with there not being any advertising for film & traditional photography supplies.

Back