New CL firmware 3.1

Calzone

Gear Whore #1
Local time
11:51 AM
I got an email blast about some new firmware, a version 3.1 for the CL.

Seems like they more fully intergrated the zoom in and focus peaking for use with manual focus lenses. Also some change with AE and focus lock.

I should be down loading this new firmware shortly.

Cal

Seems like they more fully intergrated the zoom in and focus peaking for use with manual focus lenses. Also some change with AE and focus lock.

Cal

I installed it yesterday and did some testing. Note that I don't have any AF lenses so anything to do with AF focus, AF focus lock, etc is not relevant to my use.

• The movable focus point in manual focus makes doing some of my table top and copy work easier.
  • The AE-L is convenient rather than having to hold the half-press the shutter release, would be nice if it were implemented as an on/off toggle lock.
  • I am seeing a small improvement in AutoISO operation and resulting exposures at the low light end of the range of operation.
  • I checked operation with Leica FOTOs and it seems unchanged. The ability to connect to an existing WLAN and then connect to the camera with Leica FOTOs remains broken.
  • After upgrading, I had to re-save each of my user profiles with respect to the lens profile used (remember, all M and R lenses). All other settings for each profile were properly saved. Took about five minutes to re-save all six profiles with the correct lens profile and re-export them all.
  • The frame numbering was reset to L1000001. I know this annoys some people no end, but it means nothing to me since I rename all frames when I move them to my image processing system.

The movable focus point for manual focus is the most useful improvement I see so far, for my use. The rest of the improvements are subtle and good.

G

Godfrey,

Thanks for your response. I thought you would be an early adopter.

I got back my CL from my gal. She is concentrating on her Iphone. The CL came back with 23 Cron TL.

The CL does very well with my 50 Lux-R "E60" and 58/1.2 Noct-Nikkor that effectively become a 75mm and 87mm FOV's. The Noct-Nikkor is really crazy at F1.2. Pretty much magic portrait lenses that approach perfection due to utilizing the sweet spot.

My CL loves my 28 Cron V.1.

Unbelievable results.

Cal

:D

It also is amazing with the Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 ASPH. A stunning combination of ultra small and ultra wide magic!

G

It also is amazing with the Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 ASPH. A stunning combination of ultra small and ultra wide magic!

G

Godfrey,

The samples in the thread about Digital SWC like cameras are pretty stunning.

I like the expression "Hyperwide." I did try shooting a Leica 18mm and that was mighty crazy.

Cal

Cal
I think you're not in the right forum...
We're talking here about Leica CL/CLE Minolta film cameras...

I think you're not in the right forum...
We're talking here about Leica CL/CLE Minolta film cameras...

FS,

I don't think the film CL/CLE use firmware. LOL.

Only one CL that I know uses firmware and it is a digital camera.

Cal

Threads rarely stay pure because conversation wanders as different people's interests surface.

I usually try to make the distinction a little clearer by referring to the 'Leitz CL' and the 'digital Leica CL' when there's a possibility of confusion ... the film CL dates from the time when the branding on the box still said "Leitz", not "Leica." But even I am not consistent about it, since the context of some threads is clearly digital CL and the context of other threads is clearly film CL.

Eh? What does it really matter? Both are excellent cameras, often preferable to me to the M bodies. My Leica bodies are now the digital CL, the M4-2, the R6.2, and the Leicaflex SL. That's already more than enough. The digital CL has replaced both my SL and my digital Ms, and uses both my M and R lenses. Pretty darn sweet.

Even if a bit confusing at times. :D

G

I believe fs999 was referring to this thread being posted in the CL/CLE Film sub-forum. There is no dedicated CL sub-forum but it looks like these types of posts typically end up in the combination Leica Q/T/X series sub-forum since the CL is related to the T series.

I believe fs999 was referring to this thread being posted in the CL/CLE Film sub-forum. There is no dedicated CL sub-forum but it looks like these types of posts typically end up in the combination Leica Q/T/X series sub-forum since the CL is related to the T series.

Which is a bit odd, in and of itself, since it's combining FF and APS-C, as well as fixed and interchangeable lens cameras in a jumble all in one forum.

The Leica Users Forum puts the forum hierarchy as

L-mount > SL
********> T/TL/TL2/CL (with tagging to differentiate them)
Fixed-lens > Q
********> X

et cetera, so that users can find relevant posts about cameras with similar capabilities, features, and UI.

The underlying technology of the digital CL (sensor and some firmware, some UI notions) is most closely related to the T series for the hardware and the SL series for the UI. The size, weight, and comparison to the M series between the film CL and digital CL are more similar to that comparison to the T series or SL.

As I said, ultimately "Eh? Who cares?" Conversation blossoms and perhaps some information is revealed no matter where the discussion happens.

G

Which is a bit odd, in and of itself, since it's combining FF and APS-C, as well as fixed and interchangeable lens cameras in a jumble all in one forum.

The Leica Users Forum puts the forum hierarchy as

L-mount > SL
********> T/TL/TL2/CL (with tagging to differentiate them)
Fixed-lens > Q
********> X

et cetera, so that users can find relevant posts about cameras with similar capabilities, features, and UI.

The underlying technology of the digital CL (sensor and some firmware, some UI notions) is most closely related to the T series for the hardware and the SL series for the UI. The size, weight, and comparison to the M series between the film CL and digital CL are more similar to that comparison to the T series or SL.

As I said, ultimately "Eh? Who cares?" Conversation blossoms and perhaps some information is revealed no matter where the discussion happens.

G

Godfrey,

Our friend John calls the CL "a digital Barnack."

I think this term accurately fits.

Cal

Godfrey,

Our friend John calls the CL "a digital Barnack."
I think this term accurately fits.

Cal

:) It's one way of looking at it.

Compared to a real Barnak, well, the viewfinder is light years better than that. (I loved my IIIf, IIc, and IIf cameras, but hated the peephole viewfinders...)

To me, the film CL was a great, light, more compact M-lens camera.

The digital CL melds the M's body size, lighter weight with the near-to-SL viewfinder and most of the SL UI paradigm into an even better package. I love the fact that it works so well with all of my Leica lenses, both M and R, and most of the equally lovely Voigtländer and Zeiss M-mount lenses too.

The digital CL has replaced all of my other APS-C and FF digital cameras now. It does what I need/want really really well.

G

It would be best to separate this digital CL thread from the film CL subjects as it's quite different... But, gents, where do you think is the most appropriate destination for a move? "Leica Q / T / X Series"? Petition Stephen for a rearrangement?

I usually try make the distinction a little clearer by referring to the 'Leitz CL' and the 'digital Leica CL' when there's a possibility of confusion ... the film CL dates from the time when the branding on the box still said "Leitz", not "Leica." But even I am not consistent about it, since the context of some threads is clearly digital CL and the context of other threads is clearly film CL.
But on the camera the name is clearly "LEICA CL"...

And the name of the subforum is clearly "Leica M -- Leica CL / Minolta CLE - Film"...

Note that this thread has been moved to a newly-expanded sub-forum now retitled "Leica Q / CL/ T / X Series". Thanks for your input! :D

Back