New Classic Collection Nickel 50/3.5 and 50/2 Heliars

I just purchased the 50mm Nickel 2.0 non-collapsible AND a new R3M. first roll of film is in it so I'll report soon. I intend to use the lens on my IIIf and M6 also so I can compare.

I just purchased the 50mm Nickel 2.0 non-collapsible AND a new R3M. first roll of film is in it so I'll report soon. I intend to use the lens on my IIIf and M6 also so I can compare.

. . . . . looking forward to reading your review of the VC 50mm Nickel 2.0.

For those who bought the either the 50/2 or 50/3.5 what is experience and recommendations for the two lenses.

Thanks,

Dan

Just got back my first roll from my new R3M and nickel 50 mm 2.0. I'll post more photos later when I have more time to scan.
This shot was early evening shot wide open at 1/15, Porta 160VC processed at a lab and I scanned it with my Plustek 7600. I am very impressed with the first roll. Not only is it an excellent lens but the camera is awesome also.

Just got back my first roll from my new R3M and nickel 50 mm 2.0. I'll post more photos later when I have more time to scan.
This shot was early evening shot wide open at 1/15, Porta 160VC processed at a lab and I scanned it with my Plustek 7600. I am very impressed with the first roll. Not only is it an excellent lens but the camera is awesome also.
Seems to have the slightest shift towards magenta.

now that you mention it I agree. not sure if it's the film, lens, camera or my novice scanning technique. I'll rescan with no adjustments and take another look. thanks!

Nice lenses, for sure. I don't think that the Voigtlander lens names of yesterday (German Voigtlander) bear any resemblance to today's lenses of the same name.
At least for these two 50mm Heliars, the traditional Heliar optical formula is used: Here's a sample, and the 50mm f/2 lens diagram:

U77I1312526194.SEQ.0.jpg

Wide open at f/2

U77I1312262798.SEQ.0.jpg

At f/2.4

Attachments

• Voigtlander 50 f2 Heliar diag.jpg
    Voigtlander 50 f2 Heliar diag.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a question concerning the 3.5:
What is the filter thread, and where can I find quality filters for it?
I know that it is 27mm diameter, but the pitch is not standard...
Also: the whole lens seems to be designed to be shot with the hood on.
Any experience without the hood?

I use the lens usualy without hood.
I have a rowi skylight filter on it, as you say: false pitch, screws not complete in, but it hold on...

I have a question concerning the 3.5:
What is the filter thread, and where can I find quality filters for it?
I know that it is 27mm diameter, but the pitch is not standard...
Also: the whole lens seems to be designed to be shot with the hood on.
Any experience without the hood?

The more I search about this, the more frustrating it is.
About zero information but the clear knowledge that someone at Cosina, for an obscure reason (could this be some kind of a joke?)
decided that designing the Heliar 3.5 with a standard filter thread was not fun enough :bang::bang:

Last edited:
And another nonsense: the hood is only ~1mm too wide for a A36 slip on filter...

The more I search about this, the more frustrating it is.
About zero information but the clear knowledge that someone at Cosina, for an obscure reason (could this be some kind of a joke?)
decided that designing the Heliar 3.5 with a standard filter thread was not fun enough :bang::bang:

Back