New Curated Street Photog. Flickr Group

jojoman2

Well-known
Local time
3:45 AM
Accepting submmissions. 2 per week. Looking to be a community of elite street photographers involved in critiquing each others work. Using a vote system, the group sort out the best photographs from this group into a separate, permanent hall of fame group.

I've posted what I consider to be my best street photos to get the ball rolling. I hope you all do the same.

I am the admin, so I will choose which photographs are admitted. The community, however, will determine what photographs are selected for the hall of fame group.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2878404@N20/

...sarcasm doesn't read all the well over the internet my friend. Why not post your photographs and see how you fare in the voting system instead?

Obviously it will take a little while to get the membership up to a healthy number, but I genuinely want to start a new community for street photography and have the time to moderate the group.

I really don't see any point in such groups, especially the curator part.

If you want to share your street photography, there is a section here with many threads.

There are ways to share street photography on here, but I don't enjoy the thread format nearly as much as the group format on flickr.

I'm sorry you don't see the point of curated groups. I think they are pretty great.

Hi, voting = curating?

I think you may put some theory up to begin form the start, i donñt think voting is enough.

I´d appreciate the effort of conforming a group where theory and practice could really develop.

Good luck!

No I choose which photographs are admitted to the group. Once the photographs are admitted, members of the group vote "hit," or "miss." Photographs with seven hits and less than two "misses" will be put permanently in a hall of fame extension group.

I posted two photographs of my own (I'm Jonnymoondog) and admitted one by another member so far.

Just curious, what about the Hardcore Street Photography Flickr group that you don't find adequate, that we need another such group? I'd like to hear your reasoning.

As for the "curation" part, it always seems a bit contrived to outsiders, hence the skepticism. I think it would be helpful if you explained in some detail how the curation process works, and how you intend on it working over time, as the group expands in numbers.

For skeptical outsiders, this sounds like patting each other on the back. I'd like to understand this better.

~Joe

I would recommend that you look for new group members on flickr.
Seek out flickr-ers and invite some of their photos to your group.
The more time you invest, the less time to bring the group to maturity.

Personally i like flickr. Many here hate it and some how feel flickr has let them down.
There is good reason for the animosity. As flickr goes ... it is what it is.

I'm not really someone who identifies as a street photographer but many of the my flickr contacts are indeed fantastic street shooters.
There are a lot of folks out there. Most seem too busy to do anything more than post up their images and then get back out to work.
Good luck with the group. :)

PS, I'm going to move your thread to the Frank Jackson Street Photgraphy forum.

Hi joey. That's a good idea. I'll post more about what I'm looking for in submissions for the group. My general idea is to gather magnum quality images with an urban vibe to it. I dont like the hardcore street photography group because it doesn't get updated often enough, and I wanted to be the admin of my own group to get more involved with flickr. I love working on photography all the time so this seemed like a good way to do more of that.

I don't see a problem with photographers praising other's work. I agree that shouldn't be the point of the group, but it can certainly be a part of it if a photograph is truly worthy of praise. That's where curating the group comes in. I will only admit photographs that have clear and engaging subjects or compelling composition. Photographs must not be shot in a studio or overly processed. Special consideration will be given to film photographs.

If anyone has any ideas for great group rules please let me know!

Hi Ian. The hall of fame is a long term goal for when the volume of submissions and accepted photographs increases. Obviously I won't just put my own photographs in the hall of fame. The idea is only the very best will make it into a permanent hall of fame. Other photographs in the group that don't make it (too many downvotes, "miss") will eventually be deleted to make room for new photographs.

Hi Andy. I wanted to give special consideration to film because I consider it more challenging, i.e. low light situations, needing to use slow shutter speeds rather than just adjusting the iso on a digital camera.

Do you think I should remove that clause?

Hi Ian. The hall of fame is a long term goal for when the volume of submissions and accepted photographs increases. Obviously I won't just put my own photographs in the hall of fame. The idea is only the very best will make it into a permanent hall of fame. Other photographs in the group that don't make it (too many downvotes, "miss") will eventually be deleted to make room for new photographs.

Thank you for letting us know about your group. Good luck with it.

if you find a system that members can vote than I suggest to accept every photos first and have the members, or a number of 'administers' or 'curators' vote which photos remain in the group and which not. That should make it a much more appealing group than the one you are planning, a group of photos a single person, you, chooses, and asking members to vote which, of the photos you chose, make it into a hall of fame.

Hi Andy. I wanted to give special consideration to film because I consider it more challenging, i.e. low light situations, needing to use slow shutter speeds rather than just adjusting the iso on a digital camera. Do you think I should remove that clause?

Yes, I think content and choices are the only thing that matters.
Medium is of no consequence if all other choices are excellent.
Medium should not be part of the discussion any more than lens and camera.
If you really want elite work ... Omit discussion of gear and medium as much as possible.
My opinion .

Back