New Daido Moriyama video--digital workflow!

Its really cool that this video about Daido Moriyama is discussed in such a civilized way in this forum. Its certainly a sign that better photographers hang around here.

I have a question in regards to the fact that the camera that Moriyama uses is a jpg-only P&S. This made me wonder because his works are often exhibited and printed large, the decision by him to shoot jpg only is interesting, so my question is if anyone here have experience printing large with P&S jpgs?

Its really cool that this video about Daido Moriyama is discussed in such a civilized way in this forum. Its certainly a sign that better photographers hang around here.

Are there forums where he or the video are controversial enough to be discussed in an uncivilized manner?

Edit: I just found the 4chan thread on the video. I see, I see.

I have a question in regards to the fact that the camera that Moriyama uses is a jpg-only P&S. This made me wonder because his works are often exhibited and printed large, the decision by him to shoot jpg only is interesting, so my question is if anyone here have experience printing large with P&S jpgs?

No experience printing with jpegs like that, but generally speaking the larger you go with your images, the less resolution you need as the viewer is generally further away. I think it ultimately depends on what's important to the maker of the image.

Seen Labyrinth yet? it's a great book.

Moriyama's images always were somewhat gritty and he didn't seem to care about the limitations of the formats he used and instead used the mediums limitations to his advantage. Furthermore 12 Mio pixels is enough to do some large prints even from jpegs.

Yes, it was because they were printed early in his career and it was the style of the day.

I also remember reading somewhere that HCB was notorious for not exposing very well and that his negatives often needed a lot of work to turn them into good prints. Could be confusing him with someone else, though.

As to the OP, thanks for posting. Great little video. Should put all of our GAS to rest, right?? :angel:

Was looking through his new Color book with images from 2008-2012 in Tokyo. The colors in it look very good and have a film like quality. His older color digital work was much more garish, amateur and crappy looking to be honest.

Wondering if anyone has thoughts on how Nikon point and shoots (which generally don't exicte anyone) handle color vs something like a GRD which would have been the obvious choice for someone coming off years of using a GR1.

Of course Nikon could be paying Daido and the quality of the color could all be done by his post production lackey but supposing he switched from Ricoh to Nikon to get better color as he's said, I just wonder if there is anything to this.

Going to London to see the Klein/Moriyama show at the Tate this weekend. Incredibly excited.

Generally, JPEG vs RAW has nothing to do with pixel resolution, but rather tonal resolution. A 12mp digital camera (let's say micro-4/3 format) will be 4000x3000 pixels regardless of JPEG or RAW, and will enlarge to the same extent regardless.

BTW, I loved the video.

~Joe

Did his room full of exhibition prints and printed work for his book projects hit home for anyone else? Though I don't have a room for it, that type of work piles up under my desk as well. Too bad so many good prints sit idle.

I've said it before on other threads, but I'll repeat it here...Daido is inspirational to me not because of the format he shoots, or even his methodology...it's the print on the wall. Even though my wife doesn't really "get" him, my favorites of his images don't explain anything in a documentary way...they really demand questions.

I've made a New Year's resolution to shoot more with my compact and make images that make ME feel something. I'm trying like hell to ignore new cameras and hardware issues.

I'm now shooting a lot with a Sony RX100, since it's responsive, very compact, and has enough (RAW) pixels to go large. I'm actually waiting for a 20x30 test print of this image, to see how it looks (and, it's processed so it doesn't really reflect any technical limitations...once again, just a feel)...it'll be a series if the print works:

8311858732_5ec710a1d8_b.jpg

Last edited:
If it looks good big, grainy, and dark, these will follow and find their way to my living room wall: (for me, they evoke emotional memories of my career)

8310809803_2853fe7f2b_b.jpg

8310810713_317c9070c1_b.jpg

8330687367_0b1d2b5fd0_b.jpg

I saw this video as well. Watching it, I wondered how he prints these digital files. I know that Moriyama used to print his own B&W silver prints. I wonder if he's satistied with inkjet prints of his B&W images?
Apparently yes. In 2006, I saw a room full of 60 Moriyama 40x60 inch (100x150cm) prints hung three-high at the Sydney Biennale in the Gallery of NSW. The prints, all of them from his film work, were made on an Epson 9800 and were breathtaking.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Hysteria (download link for book project)

Nice work David. I bet they will look great big.

I find that I really like going as big as possible on my Epson 3800 (tops out at 17" wide) which according to many people I should not be able to do with a 35mm scan from a low end flatbed scanner without horrible consequences.

Printed a bunch of work for an exhibition and really like the size. Works well for Daido style subject matter where the overall effect and graphic-ness is more important than tonal subtlties or shadow detail.

I think the Hawaii exhibition he had in a gallery in Chelsea a few years back was printing on an inkjet, very large prints, looked great. The show he had in LA last year was mostly older stuff so not sure how printed.

Maybe someone will chime in with how the work at the Tate Modern right now was printed and how big.

Thanks for this video. At the end the key point is the photographer and his idea and not so much the camera...
robert
PS: but I have not yet decided between ...:D

Back