NEW Fuji X-M1 @ £180 - any good ?

dee

Well-known
Local time
4:22 AM
I have just indulged in an ex-dem warranted X-M1 @£162 without any ancillaries .It will be around £180 with battery/strap/lens cap - free online manual .

At the price , I just wanted the 16-50 to extend the 27mm on the one year old X-Pro1 .

I tried the X-M1 out with the X-Pro 1 battery ,pending an OEM battery , the IQ is
excellent and the 'waist level finder ' LOL is useful .

I guess that this plastic compact is not considered a worthy part of the x- family ,
i would not have bought it at £600 plus , but It's going to be a great pocket camera with the 27mm .
Not much else worth considering at the price .
It's reasonably well built however , no worse than Sony offerings .

Does anyone have any experience of this camera ?

dee

I've had one for about a year - I picked up a clean used one when I grabbed a used XP1 and 35/2. My XM1 usually has worn one of the "toy" 24/8s but that's likely to change as I expect to be using Fuji X much more regularly with my new XP2.

I've been impressed with the XM1, it seems to be basically an XP1 stuffed into a simple body. I use an OVF on it with the 24 but have also enjoyed using the 35/2 with the LCD tilted up - an ersatz waist level finder like you said.

One thing I did to mine that really improved the handling was adding the Fuji grip extension - the bare camera is a little small for my hammy hands.

I think you'll like it - enjoy!

I use the X-M1 in the third year now. One of the smallest APS-C bodies you can get. The X-E1 is rather bulky compared with the X-M1.
The leather half-case from Fuji gives you an additional grip and saves the body in rough environment very well.

attachment.php

Waist level shooting is great with tilted up display.

Maybe I´ll buy an X-E one day. But it would and could be no replacement for my X-M1 ;)

Agreed that the XE1/2 is larger than the XA/M-1. XA/M1 are very small and light. I have one that is converted to full spectrum. But I prefer having the EVF and traditional controls of the xe1/2 as a secondary or smaller/lighter body to pair with the XP2.

If you watch long enough you can find the XE2 for only a little more than the XE1 and it is a more responsive camera with better AF.

I carry the XE2/27mm (or 18mm) in a tiny Crumpler belt pouch. I have a larger think tank belt pouch that can hold the XP2 (with 18 or 27mm attached) and the 18-55 (or 14mm) below it or even a pair of primes back to back under it.

Shawn

Thanks , everyone .
I have the X-Pro 1 , so the X-M 1 is a bonus .
I have no need for another X , I will be taking it out today , with the battery from the X-Pro until I buy another .
Again , the 27mm and 16-50 are enough for me.
dee

I think you will enjoy the X-M1 "as is".
Meanwhile mine carries only my manual fixed lenses instead of the zoom in the picture.
Never had such a comfortable "TLR" before... :D

I quite like the case - it would give a touch of style and I don't need it to be so small .
Certainly , having taken it out now , I really like it - especially the twin dials for manual .

I don't have a comparison with others from the X series because there was no choice for the combined outlay as chance buys .

i like the idea of a half case though m maybe better for grip and appearance - but it would be a cheap Chinese version in Brown or Tan .

dee

I considered one of the half cases for mine but fell into the Fuji grip first. The grip is just right IMO.

This is embarrassing - I found a 27/2.8 that I forgot I had. I think I picked it up to keep on the X-M1 just before I had surgery last year.

I took the X-M1 out yesterday , and it's been elevated from a 16-50 lens donor for the X-Pro1 to a respected premium camera in it's own right .

I did indulge in a Fuji lens cap for the 16-50 , but went for a recommended OEM battery plus an old strap I had lying around , the idea is to keep it budget - after all , my new X-Pro 1 with new 27mm was just £318 a year ago . With case and modest Sandisk card , I should be able to keep within £200 , which compares OK with current competition .

What created the switch in perception of the X-M ?

As a considered snap shooter , I tend to adopt auto exposure on the X-Pro making much use of the compensation dial , sometimes inadvertently !
The twin exposure dials of the X-M ' shades of my Pentax K10D without the bulk , encourage easy manual use , so I have reverted to setting the shutter and varying exposure as required .

The flip screen is great as a TLR clone - even of overhead shots . I actually bought a used , £100 Sony A390 just for the waist level finder , knowing that entry level cameras are seldom thrashed .
For the most part , it will be paired with the 16-50 because the X-Pro 1 with 27mm is a perfect shoulder bag camera - I much prefer a fixed lens with this camera , it just feels right .

I have not had a camera with case post my SRT days , but the X-M is small enough for me to chase up a £7 case in a sale . My 70s cases were all vinyl , so I guess a vinyl case would be good enough - this is still a budget camera , after all .

i won't be taking alternative lenses , it's more likely that the X-Pro will be in my shoulder bag anyway .

Thanks for all the feedback .

dee

...it's not a matter of pocketable vs. not pocketable...
Did I write "pocketable" ? :D
...Plus you get an EVF on the X-E1...
Like getting a milk shake extra when ordering a menue at a big american restaurant?
scnr ;)
But you have to regret the loss of the tilting mechanism which makes the X-M so practically for the kind of shooting the threadopener plans to do.

...You just added the bulk you saved....
Shure.
Until you add a halfcase to an X-E.
Otherwise - really try to make an X-E pocketable.
When you strip it down to the size of an X-M (without halfcase :rolleyes:)
you sure have sawn away parts that are elementary for its function.

Why? Because some people call an X-100 "pocketable".
To make it just a bit clearer - the size-step down to an ultimative pocketable camera like the F900EXR is smaller
than the upstep to the X-E.

I guess I don't need the comparison -
With a new bargain X-Pro 1 AND a new bargain X-M1 , I am content .... although come 5 years or so , I may be looking out for a lost X-Pro 2 body lurking in a cabinet ...

dee

Did I write "pocketable" ? :D

No, but that is usually what makes or breaks a camera with regard to gaining a little extra weight or size.

Like getting a milk shake extra when ordering a menue at a big american restaurant?

Ok, if you really think that an extra framing mechanism is superfluous.

But you have to regret the loss of the tilting mechanism which makes the X-M so practically for the kind of shooting the threadopener plans to do.

Fair enough...

Shure.
Until you add a halfcase to an X-E.
Otherwise - really try to make an X-E pocketable.

I wouldn't use a half case for protection on a cheap camera.

When you strip it down to the size of an X-M (without halfcase :rolleyes:)
you sure have sawn away parts that are elementary for its function.

:rolleyes:

...Ok, if you really think that an extra framing mechanism is superfluous...
Its not extra. It is instead of in this case.
I wouldn't use a half case for protection on a cheap camera...
And I don´t care if cheap or not - if it´s broken it doesn´t take photos.
And sometimes you are far out.
Like this thread meanwhile ;)

Kind regards and have a nice Sunday! :)

Half case ordered for my cheap camera LOL , but lashed out £12 for the leather option .
dee

Back