New HC110 shelf life.

p.giannakis

Pan Giannakis
Local time
3:34 PM
With my HC110 stock running low (I bought my bottle in 2011) it is time to buy some more.

Of course since 2019 there is the new HC110 available and back then I was one of those people spreading my anxiety about the new HC110 shelf life.

Is anyone using the new HC110 and any comments about its potency almost 5 years down the line.

Thank you.

Apologies if you already know this: You might want to check into the availability of Kodak's HC110, as it appears to have been discontinued--or at least that what has been posted by B&H and is discussed in a recent article, Uncertainty Surrounds the Future of Kodak Photo Paper and Chemistry. I do note that Freestyle is still listing HC110 at about $43.00/liter.

IIRC, lots of legacy discussions are likely available on this and other forums about the change in HC-110's formulation--the upshot being that the 2019 version is less viscous and has a shorter (relatively speaking) shelf life.

Split it in small air-tight bottles. My HC-110 is still working, no change in quality or in colour, after three years. The small bottle currently in use gets slightly darker in a few weeks but develops as expected..
Regards
Joao

Apologies if you already know this: You might want to check into the availability of Kodak's HC110, as it appears to have been discontinued--or at least that what has been posted by B&H and is discussed in a recent article, Uncertainty Surrounds the Future of Kodak Photo Paper and Chemistry. I do note that Freestyle is still listing HC110 at about $43.00/liter.

IIRC, lots of legacy discussions are likely available on this and other forums about the change in HC-110's formulation--the upshot being that the 2019 version is less viscous and has a shorter (relatively speaking) shelf life.
I have been living under a stone for a long time now it seems. You are right- there are some optimistic speculations that Kodak Rochester is trying ti get it back from Sino but I greatly doubt about it. There are already some HC110 clones in the market offering the same developing times with the original.

Split it in small air-tight bottles. My HC-110 is still working, no change in quality or in colour, after three years. The small bottle currently in use gets slightly darker in a few weeks but develops as expected..
Regards
Joao
That is what I have been doing. I still have a 250ml bottle in my cupboard. Knowing my developing rate, this will last me for more than 2 years.

IMG_20230827_154245_(525_x_700_pixel).jpg

It would suck if HC-110 goes away. I’m working my way through my last bottle of the old syrup.

However, it appears that for practical purposes, Ilfotec HC is almost exactly the same stuff as the new HC-110. I’ve used it with the same times/temps/dilutions and the negatives look identical.

Hopefully it stays in production if HC-110 bites the dust.

With my HC110 stock running low (I bought my bottle in 2011) it is time to buy some more.

Of course since 2019 there is the new HC110 available and back then I was one of those people spreading my anxiety about the new HC110 shelf life.

Is anyone using the new HC110 and any comments about its potency almost 5 years down the line.

Thank you.
Hello Pan,

Not sure if this info. is helpful but it is my personal experience with the new Kodak HC-110.

I bought this bottle of Kodak HC-110 produced by Sino Promise (Wuxi, China) which has an expiry date of 2024-01. I have been using it for about 10 months now without any special storage (no dark small bottles, no fridge, and mind you Singapore's average temperature is about 33 degree C). It has been working just fine so far. After 10 months, it seems to be as potent as new. No crystals formed.

As I bought it online from a Taiwanese reseller, its price is not much cheaper compared to Ilford ILFOTEC HC. So I intend to switch to ILFOTEC HC once this bottle of HC-110 is completely used up. (I only used about 400ml of it so far.)

Screen Shot 2023-08-28 at 10.05.10 AM.png

My take: if you use this stuff sparingly, might as well just get an Ilfotec HC and be happy.

yossi

Last edited:
I use a product called wine preserver. It’s a aerosol can of Argon gas which is inert. When I use some of the HC110 I shoot a blast of argon gas in the bottle and it displaces the air and prevents oxidation. I’d also used to preserve oil based paint. It prevents deterioration and probably can be found through paint stores. Not sure about the paint stores but I get the wine preserver through Amazon.

I bought 4 or 5 large bottles a few years ago and haven’t used the bottle I had open so my supply will last many years at the rate I shoot film now but did try the Freestyle L100 a few years ago. It seems to produce the same results as HC110. The difference is it rather thin in viscosity and doesn’t have a very good shelf life once opened.

Ilford HC is the same as HC110 but more expensive last I checked but it works great and last a long time when opened.

Hello Pan,

Not sure if this info. is helpful but it is my personal experience with the new Kodak HC-110.

I bought this bottle of Kodak HC-110 produced by Sino Promise (Wuxi, China) which has an expiry date of 2024-01. I have been using it for about 10 months now without any special storage (no dark small bottles, no fridge, and mind you Singapore's average temperature is about 33 degree C). It has been working just fine so far. After 10 months, it seems to be as potent as new. No crystals formed.

As I bought it online from a Taiwanese reseller, its price is not much cheaper compared to Ilford ILFOTEC HC. So I intend to switch to ILFOTEC HC once this bottle of HC-110 is completely used up. (I only used about 400ml of it so far.)

View attachment 4825927

My take: if you use this stuff sparingly, might as well just get an Ilfotec HC and be happy.

yossi
It seems that the HC110 clones (if I can call them like that) is the way forward. I noticed Bellini Go to sell their version in 250ml for £15 . Not the cheapest per volume but ok.

I use a product called wine preserver. It’s a aerosol can of Argon gas which is inert. When I use some of the HC110 I shoot a blast of argon gas in the bottle and it displaces the air and prevents oxidation.
I read somewhere that nitrogen gas is another option, unfortunately I can't find online any small gas bottles that I can easily store at home. Another RFF member suggested wine products, vacuum bottles of some sort where you pour the developer in it.

It seems that the HC110 clones (if I can call them like that) is the way forward. I noticed Bellini Go to sell their version in 250ml for £15 . Not the cheapest per volume but ok.

I read somewhere that nitrogen gas is another option, unfortunately I can't find online any small gas bottles that I can easily store at home. Another RFF member suggested wine products, vacuum bottles of some sort where you pour the developer in it.
In the "old" days we used to just drop glass beads (marbles) in to the bottles to make the liquid fill the bottle to the top. No need for fancy's;utions.

Bill

In the "old" days we used to just drop glass beads (marbles) in to the bottles to make the liquid fill the bottle to the top. No need for fancy's;utions.

Bill
My plan when I run out of HC110 in the future is to buy a HC110-clone and use one of these with a wine bottle

IMG_20230828_110726_(366_x_650_pixel).jpg

Last edited:
If you follow the wine-related options, you may want to try those soft lightproof bags used inside wine boxes. They allow you to extract the precise amount of liquid you want and no air enters the bag..

Regards
Joao

The most important thing for storage of developers is good bottles/storage containers. Pan, you already have that under control - a borosilicate bottle with an impermeable sealing lid. The gas to fill the airspace isn't a bad idea but it will leak out over time anyway.

The main problem is the uncertainty. HC-110 was the same for so long, then it wasn't, and now we have to put up with substitutes that may or may not last.

Back