New Kickstarter from MiNT: InstantKon SF70

DougK

This space left blank
Local time
10:15 AM
Many of you have probably seen this already, but MiNT has another Instax film-based project in the works, this time a rangefinder camera called the InstantKon SF70 that uses the square Instax films.

The link to the project page is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mintcamera/instantkon-sf70-instant-camera.

I have to admit that I'm sorely tempted. I used to have a Polaroid pack film camera that was great fun to play with (and oh, the lovely negatives you got along with the print...).

Last edited:
Considering the company has been around for 10 years at this point and has produced a number of other cameras, I'd say the risk is much lower than other Kickstarter projects.

I wouldn't spend this much on camera to only shoot Instax. But why can't they make this take 120 film (as well)??

And come off it with the Kickstarter bashing. Plenty of excellent success stories there. With some discernment one can be fairly sure about getting what they pledge for. Personally I've done over a dozen Kickstarters - for instance the Diana Instant Square camera I have been using a lot this month.

I wouldn't spend this much on camera to only shoot Instax. But why can't they make this take 120 film (as well)??

And come off it with the Kickstarter bashing. Plenty of excellent success stories there. With some discernment one can be fairly sure about getting what they pledge for. Personally I've done over a dozen Kickstarters - for instance the Diana Instant Square camera I have been using a lot this month.
I agree, I've only had 1 Kickstarter project out of 11 fail to ship on time (and technically it was an Indiegogo project that was canceled, so no money lost). Go with a company that has a proven track record, or someone who has previous product launch experience and knows how to set realistic goals, and you'll usually be OK.

As to the camera, I think I've talked myself off the ledge. Great idea, but I'm not sure that I'm a big enough fan of instant film to make the investment worthwhile.

Its predecessor, the RF70, has been out for like 2 years. Little fear of them not being able to deliver the new one.

This looks more refined, especially the grip. Hope they fixed the very soft lens.

Problem with Kickstarter is that when a project fails, or is way behind schedule, or ships a crappy or defective product, there is zero mechanism in place for backers to recover their money. Please let me repeat that in another way, the project creators have no responsibility except a moral one to make right broken promises. If they decide to ignore backer pleas for refund or satisfaction there is absolutely no ‘practical’ legal recourse available to backers.
But, you are right in that Mint has been around for a while and is not an unknown......still, they do already have your money if a person signs up.

One project out of 11 fail to ship on time! That’s unusual. Backed 4 hardware projects with a 50% failure rate. Total failure on one and partial failure on the Travelwide handheld 4x5 (the helical never worked, got tighter and tighter and locked up, but the rest of the body has been adapted to a Rube Goldberg contraption that will shoot 94X94 square images with 4x5 holders.

So, I’m now somewhat more risk averse and if I really like an idea will just have to wait and see how it turns out.
Actually, this seems a bit overpriced.

Problem with Kickstarter is that when a project fails, or is way behind schedule, or ships a crappy or defective product, there is zero mechanism in place for backers to recover their money. Please let me repeat that in another way, the project creators have no responsibility except a moral one to make right broken promises. If they decide to ignore backer pleas for refund or satisfaction there is absolutely no ‘practical’ legal recourse available to backers.
But, you are right in that Mint has been around for a while and is not an unknown......still, they do already have your money if a person signs up.

One project out of 11 fail to ship on time! That’s unusual. Backed 4 hardware projects with a 50% failure rate. Total failure on one and partial failure on the Travelwide handheld 4x5 (the helical never worked, got tighter and tighter and locked up, but the rest of the body has been adapted to a Rube Goldberg contraption that will shoot 94X94 square images with 4x5 holders.

So, I’m now somewhat more risk averse and if I really like an idea will just have to wait and see how it turns out.
Actually, this seems a bit overpriced.
You make some good points and I agree with you regarding the risks. I tend to focus on projects from companies that already exist and are trying new concepts or have a proven track record of delivering, but there's no denying that I've been quite fortunate.

I considered backing the Travelwide because I loved the idea (and still do), but ultimately decided that there was little point in getting a 4x5 that didn't offer movements. Sounds like I might have dodged a bullet on that one.

Nah. I had a Travelwide and it worked flawlessly. It's not designed for tripod, movement-heavy uses, obviously, but it was a nice camera. Too bad I got screwed by offering to help the community machine some replacement parts and the machinist I think died and my camera disappeared, forever.

Anyway, of course there is a reason for the company to produce a good product - continued sales and good standing in the community. This may or may not come into play depending, but obviously with a known company it does.

How much different is it from already available https://mint-camera.com/en/shop/came...stantkon-rf70/

I'm not sure about lens been soft, I think, Instant film from FujiFilm doesn't support high resolution.

Seems that the new one use the Instax Square paper and for the RF70, which was larger and heavier, the Instax Wide paper.

The lens was really soft wide open. Visibly softer than the top range Instax Wide cameras with AF.

Back