New Leica 28mm 2.8 Asph

MP Guy

Just another face in the crowd
Staff member
Local time
12:48 PM
This looks like a nice lens to add to your collection. Its a 28mm 2,8 Asph.

Since the older/discontinued 28 Elmarit was a really good performer, I doubt too many of us could see the difference with the 28 Summicron, I guess this is has to do with SIze, sIZe, siZE.

Looks nice

Yes, this new lens looks more compact than the older Elmarit, which was essentially the same size as the Summicron. Wonder how improved the imaging qualities are...

different bodies?

different bodies?

Is the body in this picture also the new m8? If so there seems to be small differenses between this one and the one earlier sent to the forum. There is the same wheel on backside but above the wheel this picture has a small button or something (like AE lock) and it seems to be smaller than viewfinder. And the top-plate also looks different, this picture seems to have film advance lever (small metal plate starts between shutter release button)?

Nice lens.

There is one more photo I have of the 28 which shows the camera front. The camera is an M7.

I am certain that it's a beautiful lens & I look forward to one of our well heeled members posting shots from it. But I have this sneaking suspicion that, given it's probable price tag, I'll be shooting with my Serenar 28/3.5 for a whole lot longer :D

It is neat to see & I'm always glad to hear of new lenses from Leica or Zeiss.

William

Looks even smaller front to back than the 35mm Summicron.

It's an important lens because if you buy an M8, 35mm is the new standard and this lens is the "entry level" wide-angle lens. Can't see it being less than €2000 including German VAT, call that $2200 + tax.

Interesting too that the rear lens element projects beyond the bayonet ring into the camera. Doesn't look like there's been any need to increase the lens-sensor distance for the M8 and that tells me they have the sensor light angle issue cracked. Same is true for the Tri-Elmar.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like there's been any need to increase the lens-sensor distance for the M8 and that tells me they have the sensor light angle issue cracked.
Zebra coding and in-camera vignetting correction probably have a large part in this.

Philipp

I'm speaking of Leica's standard prices such as you'd pay at somewhere like Adorama - they are currently listing the Summicron at $2995. This new lens is a an Elmarit, not an Elmar so f2.8.

rxmd said:
Zebra coding and in-camera vignetting correction probably have a large part in this.

Philipp

I agree, this lens and the new Tri-Elmar will be the first lenses to come with zebra coding from the outset with the associated image correction built into the camera. For future lenses, I expect lenses will come with an SD card to allow you to teach your M8 about the new lens.

For future lenses, I expect lenses will come with an SD card to allow you to teach your M8 about the new lens.
You are optimistic. I would expect Leica to do this as an in-factory firmware upgrade for $200 with possibly the option to do this for free during the warranty period.

Philipp

Mark Norton said:
For future lenses, I expect lenses will come with an SD card to allow you to teach your M8 about the new lens.
Or maybe simply online.

Why does it seem impossible or undesirable for them to come up with a 28 that is as fast as the 35 Lux -- 1.4? What are the technical challenges associated with doing this?

Ted Witcher said:
Why does it seem impossible or undesirable for them to come up with a 28 that is as fast as the 35 Lux -- 1.4? What are the technical challenges associated with doing this?

I think it would be HUGE... As far as optics, in the SLR world Nikon produced a 28 1.4 AIS lens but I don't know if it was sharp wide open. Canon produced a 28mm 1.8 but not great reviews wide open. I had one, sold it. I preferred by 35 1.4 ASPH on my M6. Smaller, and sharper. ;)

Yes, elmarits are really just too slow unless you shoot outside all the time. Maybe with digital you can get away with f/2.8, because you can flip a switch and get a higher iso setting, but with film I'm alwaus shooting my Summilux's wide open or close to it.

Back