New Leica Q2

Cal

My impression is the Q owners rather like the camera so perhaps no surprise that there is a second iteration.

Michael

Michael,

I always liked the "Q." Been hard to resist. Bought a CL to use with fast 50's (50 Lux-R "E60" and 58/1.2 Noct-Nikkor) instead of buying a telephoto for my SL. In the meantime my fashion blog gal kidnapped my CL and bought a 23 Cron for it (35mm FOV).

The 35 Cron-SL is expected to be available in April, and I have been waiting years for this lens.

Looks like the new Q has adopted the same controls as the CL: a great thing. The CL is a fast shooter, and the controls are most basic and minimal.

John's post above about a new SL with a higher MP count for me is a conflict. I suspect a M11 is further down the road, and the new SL is more likely to emerge, perhaps soon.

Again I love the new Q, but having a SL and SL2 works out better for me. I already own a 50 Lux-SL and the addition of a 35 Cron-SL with the two bodies makes the most long term sense.

If I won a lottery I would buy a new Q.

Cal

John,

M10 just got released not too long ago. I suspect the SL perhaps soon and a M11 later.

"Milk the cow," I say.

Cal

Believe it or not, the M10 is over 2 years old now.
This is great as I'm planning on getting an M10 in 2020/2021. Hopefully a high MP M11 will lower the M10 price even further down (4000$ would be my entry point)

Believe it or not, the M10 is over 2 years old now.
This is great as I'm planning on getting an M10 in 2020/2021. Hopefully a high MP M11 will lower the M10 price even further down (4000$ would be my entry point)

T,

The SL is about 4 years since released.

"Milk the cow," I say.

You might have to wait, but I think time is your friend.

Cal

Full frame $4200 47mp Leica camera w lens makes the 24mp lensless $8000 M10
seem really over priced now.

Hmmm...

Uses the same battery as my SL.

Know that I only have the original battery for my SL and don't have a spare. Pretty much never needed one, although I conserve power to do this by turning my camera off.

The Q2 has a big battery. This is a big bonus.

So for about the same price as a 35 Cron-SL a complete camera. What is a SL owner going to do when a new SL2 is very likely?

Cal

I think the Q2 looks great, but unless my tax refund is way bigger than I expect, it'll have to wait.

regarding a higher MP M camera - I wonder if the focusing system is accurate enough for that much resolution. My impression is that 24MP is about right for a rangefinder.

Fantastic camera, Leica has a winner there!

47mp M11 & SL2 is next I would think...

The last SL came out right after the Q as well, so I'd guess the SL with the new sensor is next.

I doubt that the M11 will have a 47MP sensor and hope they will stay with 28 MP, which is plenty. In the Q, which has a fixed lens, the higher pixel count can be used as a "virtual 35mm lens", or even as 50mm. In the M you don't need it because it has interchangeable lenses.

I think the Q2 looks great, but unless my tax refund is way bigger than I expect, it'll have to wait.

regarding a higher MP M camera - I wonder if the focusing system is accurate enough for that much resolution. My impression is that 24MP is about right for a rangefinder.

OW,

Doing my taxes tomorrow. We'll see...

Hopefully not painful.

Cal

Back